9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 10:12 AM by schamblee

Why does Filemaker not print to the correct Tray

StevieP

(FM14 -- Windows 8.1) I've been working on a system for printing different types of labels using a single printer. This is a Xerox Phaser with a main tray (tray 1) and a multi-functional tray. To facilitate this, I have added the network printer twice under different names - Xerox 2x4 and Xerox 3x7 - the numbers represent the amount of rows and columns on the label sheets. I have also changed the printer defaults for each printer to use only a specific tray.

This works in every single program I cared to try (Photoshop, Acrobat, Illustrator, Word, Excel, Paint, Notepad) except ... yes, except for Filemaker who absolutely ignores the default tray and insists on ALWAYS printing to tray 1. It's driving me crazy because at times, it WILL use the MPT tray but I can't for the life of me find a consistent behaviour here. Sometimes merely restarting Filemaker will fix it. This is definitely a Filemaker issue because of how erratic it works and how every other piece of software works perfectly.

Some more info: the script first configures the printer (Print Setup) and even inside the setup, I have selected the correct tray but when printing it ignores this.

Does anyone have any idea why Filemaker does this? It makes no sense at all. Or perhaps someone knows a trick to make this work?