8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 28, 2015 6:11 AM by wimdecorte

ODBC connection problem

francescoraggi

Hi,

I'm trying to connect a Filemaker Pro 14 database to an MDL application (via ODBC driver defined in User Tab of ODBC window) but I've a problem.

Usually, when I try to connect a FileMaker database with other software a window appears to ask me UID and PSW.

With this  MDL app the UID and PSW windows doesn't appear and I receive the error message below:

"ERROR [28000] [FileMaker][FileMaker] User ID must be specified"

Could someone help me?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Francesco

• 1. Re: ODBC connection problem
          rogerengstrom

I'd guess that it's a problem with the ODBC driver.

Are you able to connect to the MDL-app with any other client and the same driver?

• 2. Re: ODBC connection problem
            francescoraggi

Sorry, I have no experience with other MDL (.ma) applications. I use this application in MicroStation as a read-only tool for FM database. The connection with MicroStation to the FM DB with the same driver works well.

I suppose the problem is to send to FM user ID and PWS. Are there keys to set in Windows registry to automatically send to FM the UID and PWS?

Thank you in advance.

Francesco

• 3. Re: ODBC connection problem
              rogerengstrom

I must confess I have no experience at all with MDL applications but the principals are the same for any ODBC integration.

Are you trying to get data from FileMaker into your MDL app. or the other way around?

• 4. Re: ODBC connection problem
                wimdecorte

francescoraggi wrote:

The connection with MicroStation to the FM DB with the same driver works well.

I'm confused: in your first post you said you want to connect FM to the other application but here you say you are connecting the other application to FM.

That's two different connections that will need two different sets of ODBC drivers.  Those two connections can never work with the same ODBC driver.  To connect to FM you need to use the FM ODBC driver.  To connect to the other application you need that other aplicaton's driver.

Typically you don't use the User tab of the ODBC control panel, but the System DSN tab but that's probably irrelevant for this purpose.  You are not doing this directly on the FileMaker Server, right?

• 5. Re: ODBC connection problem
                  francescoraggi

Sorry for the confusion, I'm a beginner in DB world and for me the connection is one-to-one, indipendent from the direction. However, the flux is:

FM database -> Microstation: MicroStation establishes a connection to the DB with an ODBC driver provided by FM (it works)

FM database -> the MDL tool runs into MicroStation: the MDL app establishes a connection to the DB with an ODBC driver provided by FM (it doesn't work)

I hope it's clear.

I'm using a desktop version of FileMaker Pro 14 to connect a DB which is resident in my PC.

I have Windows 10 64 bit installed.

Thank you in advance.

Francesco

• 6. Re: ODBC connection problem
                    wimdecorte

Since the driver obviously works and your FM file is properly configured (the Microstation can connect to FM) , I'm afraid you'll have to get support from the MDL provider...

• 7. Re: ODBC connection problem
                      francescoraggi

Is it possible to set FM to don't ask UID and PWS when the DB is called from an app?

• 8. Re: ODBC connection problem
                        wimdecorte

No, that would be highly insecure.  The other app could store the credentials, hopefully in a secure fashion...