7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2016 4:13 AM by Doc

Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created

DrewTenenholz

All --

Is it just me or....

Mac (10.10 Yosemite), FileMaker Pro 13 Adv. (client's current version)

I have a script that creates a compiled printout using  Save As PDF...Append to PDF...Append...etc. which save a unique file name to the Get ( TemporaryPath ) folder.

It works -- ONLY the first time I run it.  Subsequent uses of the script give ME (and only ME so far) an error 800.  If I restart FileMaker, I can get it to run again, but only one time.  One other person does NOT see this error....

Anyone else have this problem?  Any resolution?

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 1. Re: Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created
          TSPigeon

DrewTenenholz:

Thank you for your post.

I was unable to reproduce the error by following Knowledge Base Article #6363 and using ( $path = Get ( TemporaryPath) & “test.pdf” ) for the “Save Records as PDF” File Path.

Error 800: “Unable to create file on disk”

This can happen if you don’t have permissions to write to the directory or if the directory is invalid.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created
            DrewTenenholz

TSPigeon --

The frustrating part of this error is that I am able to successfully 'print' the file, but only once per FileMaker session.  In other words, it works once, then will not work again until I quit and relaunch FileMaker.  How that can be a permissions issue is perplexing.

I tried this using both Get ( DesktopPath ) and Get ( TemporaryPath ) -- same result.

As you know, the FileMaker Temporary folder is not actually created unless it is needed, thus my temporary folder:

/private/var/folders/ry/n0glsz_s48d_zfp8_tbx32tm0000gp/T/S10/

doesn't even exist when I launch FileMaker.  When I run my script, the folder is created with permissions set to 755.  The parent folder is set to 750.  (All parent folders above this and right up to the volume are set to 755, while the Volume itself is 770.)  These are all writable permissions for me as the user. (As is the Desktop with 700.)

So, it is baffling that I can write out the file once, but not again until I quit and relaunch FileMaker.  I have to quit the whole application, not just the particular file/solution I'm working in.

If it matters, this is a fairly long PDF file, between 24 and 44 pages.

The error also occurs in FileMaker 14 as well as FM13.

If I run both versions simultaneously, I can get each one to print ONCE before I start seeing error 800.  (Each application created it's own independent temporary folder (.../S10, .../S10.1)

As I said, another person working on this system reported NO SUCH ERROR.  So, what is so special about my machine?  Has anyone else come across this?  I'm OK with being a single anomaly, the risk is that more of the users will be like me and not my testing companion.

-- Drew Tenenholz

• 3. Re: Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created
              TSPigeon

DrewTenenholz:

Thank you for your reply.

You might try running the script with your account on the machine that you know works as expected.

You might verify with the Script Debugger and the Data Viewer that it's grabbing the path you expect.

You may also try creating a new file with a similar script to see if you can replicate the issue on your machine? In the case that you can't replicate you might even try a quick recovery of the file? (File > Recover... > Select a local copy of the file) If you do replicate in a new file, please let me know.

There are no other reports of this issue that we are aware of, but I will let you know if anything comes up.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created
                thurmes

The behavior you describe (only able to write once) almost sounds like FileMaker thinks the pdf file has been opened by another program (something that I'm always aware of when I'm using Adobe print drivers - I'm in Windows - to print to a pdf file; I have it set so that Acrobat then opens the file, and I have to close the file before I print to it again). Your big question, why it would only happen with your computer, has me stumped.

• 5. Re: Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created
                  anthony@littleman.com.au

Hi Drew,

I had the same problem.  The issue for me turned out to be unrelated to the reported error 800 but was an underlying error due to the report not fitting on the page.

In my situation one particular append to pdf script step would work ok.   The problem was that it didn't have a print setup script step included.  When another script was run that did change the print setup, the original script it would then throw an error and say it couldn't append to disk (error 800). However, when I looked closely there was an underlying error 602 ("Body doesn't fit on a page for current column setup") that I could see with the Script Debugger, but it would pop up with the error 800 during runtime.

Adding the correct print setup to each script seems to be essential.

Hope this helps someone.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created
                    keysolutions

I’m experiencing the same problem with writing PDF files.

Too often it happens I cannot write a PDF because of error 800.

The remedy is to quit FileMaker and try again. How do I explain this to my customers?

It doesn’t matter which path I change to it the error happens. FileMaker just doesn’t want to write the pdf.

For the folders I use (even desktop and documents folder) I have full privileges, so that cannot be the problem.

I’m running OS X 10.11.4 with FileMaker Advanced 14.0.5. I’m also running FileMaker Server on this Mac since I have to avoid corrupting my files when FM crashes.

• 7. Re: Seeing Error 800 (File Could Not be Created) after first file IS created
                      Doc

Thanks for your note - it inspired me to look elsewhere for the 800 cannot write PDF resolution. In my case it wasn't page set up, but a font that was included on the page to print that was causing the PDF not to output... love these vague errors!