5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 12:14 PM by sporobolus

email cut off for third time this year

sporobolus

call me old-school, but i use the email feature to send me every message in this forum; despite the numerous quirks in Jive's email implementation, this is much better for me than trying to follow via website, mainly because my email client has a much more efficient interface for my purposes, and i get a permanent archive

however the email service is unreliable

for the third time this year, email delivery was cut off for my account on the morning of 22 August; not fully cut off — the "FileMaker Community Updates" messages kept coming (i don't read these but i use them as markers for a days worth of messages) — but all discussion messages stopped; last time this happened i fixed it this way:

my email delivery from this site stopped; here's how i fixed it

this time i only logged into the site, i think it was on 26 August, and loaded my "inbox"; then late on the 27th, email deliveries resumed

i'm reporting this in the hope it may help improve the site's email functions, and/or help someone else having the same problem

• 1. Re: email cut off for third time this year
          mark_baum

Just saw this -- thanks for the information. I'll share it with Jive Support to see what they say.

• 2. Re: email cut off for third time this year
            mark_baum

Probably should have replied here instead of the other thread -- so here's the same response:

I reported this issue to Jive Support. Do you see any connection to downtime/restarts of the community?

They are asking whether you can provide a screenshot of your connection stream displaying some of the notifications that you didn't receive individual emails for.  Then they can investigate those notifications.

If it's too long ago now, I can tell them to drop it -- but please let me know. Thanks!

• 3. Re: email cut off for third time this year
              sporobolus

Mark, thanks for asking … it turns out email delivery was cut off again and i was so fed up i stopped visiting this site for a few months, and never found your reply; yes i suspect it is related to restarts of the site; the last cutoff was 26 September 2015

someone private-messaged me recently and that message was emailed to me, so i responded, and in the process i poked around a little; something in the course of that has spontaneously restarted email delivery of messages

i have my "stream" set up to email me every message in most categories, so i'm not sure what sense it would be to have done a screen shot, even if this were a timely reply — if Jive wants to know what didn't get delivered to me, it was every single message between 26 September and today, with the exception of

• "Filemaker Community Updates" (the pseudo-digests, to which i subscribed mainly to demarcate daily activity in my mailbox)
              • the occasional message from developer_programs or fba
              • and one private message
              • 4. Re: email cut off for third time this year
                mark_baum

Thanks for getting back to me about this. We just upgraded to Jive 8 this week. I'm going to hope that this was a Jive 7 bug that will no longer trouble us. If you run into the problem again, please let me know -- you can email me at mark_baum@filemaker.com.  Cheers -- Mark

• 5. Re: email cut off for third time this year
                  sporobolus

happened again as of 18 June; sent details by email