3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2015 9:40 AM by ryanmead83

Wondering how to run nightly scripts

ryanmead83

Hi everyone,

We have 2 users in total right now which will probably be that way for awhile.  We have a FileMaker host that works fine as we use the desktop apps, but they don't support server scripting which I THINK I need to run scripts on a schedule overnight etc?  Others seem to charge like $5 per script and so on.  I only need it for something basic, such as checking nightly for records that are a certain age and sending an email notice and so on.  Because it's just 2 of us and I have 3 licences for FM Advanced, I was going to put FM on a Windows 8 virtual server that I have running on a dedicated server we have in a data center.  I tried this with our database just turning sharing on and setting FileMaker to launch at startup with that file etc, and it works literally identical to our FM Server host.  Such little users that if any problems I can easily pop in to fix it.  So was thinking as well that could be an option, using that machine which is always on, to run something on a schedule.  Can FileMaker scripts run on a schedule or on a loop every so many hours etc, or would I have to set something up on the PC side like a macro?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Wondering how to run nightly scripts
          Markus Schneider

If You have FileMaker Server ('hosted' - Server?), You can add a server schedule.

If there is no FM Server, the client has to be running all the time and You could have a script running with a 'on timer' script step that checks for the current time and fires another script at 11pm, for example

• 2. Re: Wondering how to run nightly scripts
            wimdecorte

ryanmead83 wrote:

put FM on a Windows 8 virtual server that I have running on a dedicated server we have in a data center.  I tried this with our database just turning sharing on and setting FileMaker to launch at startup with that file etc, and it works literally identical to our FM Server host.

Confused by this, why turn sharing on?  Your new virtual 8 machine (it's not a server, 8 is a desktop OS), just runs FileMaker Pro and connects to the hosted file like any regular client, right?

So not sure what you mean by "identical to our FM Server host".

The concept of having an FMP installation on a separate machine to act as a client and get things done in an automated fashion is often called "a robot machine".

Instead of using a timer as was suggested before you could have a windows schedule that opens the FM file from your host at the time you want and run the script.

A much better solution though would be to find a cloud host that does allow you to do server-side scripts schedules on FMS.  That's what they are there for and it is much more robust than using a robot machine.

• 3. Re: Wondering how to run nightly scripts
              ryanmead83

Thanks everyone.  I know that Windows 8 is a desktop operating system lol.  I mean I have a dedicated server in a data center running Hyper V Server 2012 and had a Windows 8 virtual machine sitting there so tried putting FM on it.  I call it server since I used to use virtual private servers in the past and just always call VMs as VPSs since typically it is a server OS on it.

What I meant was if I keep FM open on that machine and use built in sharing, when I connect over the Internet from the FM desktop app on any other machine, it works exactly the same as our FM Server host in terms of speed, and so on.  You'd have no idea you were using sharing vs server.  My issue is most server hosts charge like $5 PER script and there's only 3 or so that are in Canada, most seem like they haven't updated their website since the 90s.  The ones in the US are fine but the exchange rate is brutal now making that $5 more like $7.  On Timer is what I was looking for, as that I can just use on the desktop machine that's always on now. Thx.