1 2 3 Previous Next 38 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2016 9:09 AM by TSGal

Popovers Blank...sometimes

jeff@jeffmillard.com

Definitely a FM Go Bug.  App developed in FM13v9 runs consistently on Win7 but under latest FM GO I get blank popovers at random intervals.  The popover pops up but no fields or buttons on them.  If one is blank, all of them on the same layout will popup blank.  The buttons still work (since I know where they should be).  Fix seems to be going to another layout and coming back and they will start working again... then some time later they start popping up blank again.

• 1. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
          TSGal

jeff:

I saw your screen shot at:    popovers blank...sometimes

Is there a way you can consistently reproduce the issue?

What version of FileMaker Go are you running?

Are there any layout script triggers?

Do you have any other applications running?  If so, what are the applications?

What version of iOS are you running?

Any other information you can provide may be helpful in reproducing the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
            jeff@jeffmillard.com

I can't force the display problem other that to go thru my normal sequence of app use and eventually it will re-occur.  It seems more time related meaning while it is working I can hit the popover 20 times and it works 20 times. Try it 10 minutes later and it will fail.  IOS is 8.4.1 and FMGO is 14.0.2, on iPad 2.  Yes there is a OnEnter trigger on the Popover box that populates two fields on the popover if they are empty with the date and time. I've tried with both other applications running and not and no change.  I can send you the file if you like-- so frustrating because the whole purpose of the popover is to capture the time of take-off for our charter pilots and transmit a message in realtime.  Pilot is about to take the runway, hits the take-off button, script logs the time, hits the XMIT button and it sends the time to home base. REALLY not the time to be screwing with the screens trying to get the popover to display!! ;-)

I just read a post of yours from Jan '14 in which you suggested a work-around for another popover display issue-- you suggested a .3 second pause at the beginning of the script...thinking maybe the script steps are preventing the screen from catching up?  I can try this in my script but the problem seems to be with ALL the popovers once it occurs -- even ones that don't have any script triggers on the popover layouts.

• 3. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
              TSGal

jeff:

I would definitely like a copy/clone of the solution so I can test it.  I'm aware the issue isn't easily reproducible.  I have sent you a private message with the instructions where to send the file.

We did have some timing issues in previous versions of FileMaker Go, and it is possible there may be some still.  I wouldn't expect you to apply this to all of your popovers, but I would try it with the most common or critical popover to see if it helps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                TSGal

jeff:

I received your file, screen shots and instructions.  Thank you.

Currently, the file has been running for 75 minutes.  All popovers continue to display information.  I'll let it run for the rest of the day and keep you posted.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                  TSGal

jeff:

I am now at 3 hours without any problems.  All popovers still display information.

I have to shut down tonight, so I'll try again tomorrow when I have more time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                    databuzz

I've also seen this and was about to report the same issue. It doesn't happen 100% of the time but I've now seen it myself half a dozen times. Switching layouts generally seems to be enough to get it back working but very confusing for customers using your solution to be presented with a blank popover.

• 7. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                      TSGal

databuzz:

Thank you for your post.

The file supplied by "jeff" only has a Popover.  Are you only seeing this with Popovers?  That is, have you seen this issue occur with any other object like a Slide Control?  Tab Control?

I understand in both cases that switching to another layout and returning to the original layout fixes the issue.  On the outside chance, do you have any script that executes Refresh Object and/or Refresh Window?  Although I cannot replicate the issue, I'm trying to gather as much information possible to narrow the possible causes and workarounds.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                        jeff@jeffmillard.com

Thanks for the lab effort!  I was flying all day yesterday and my field testing was markedly improved with the .3 sec Pause Script step before any field updating is allowed to happen. Only getting the blank Popovers about 10 percent of the time now.  I will push to .5 sec pause and see if that gets me to 100% reliability today.

This would imply the follow on script steps (Reading and updating a field on the popover) are somehow interrupting the popover display.  I do notice with the .3 sec pause I think I see more of the 'animation' happen. The popover display isn't quite a POP up as it is grows out from the center.  Perhaps a little too much animation at the cost of reliability?  That said-- Popovers are fantastic!  Love FM...  Not a horrible work-around if it works but a fix here would be most welcome.

• 9. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                          jeff@jeffmillard.com
                          Thanks... that means a lot since TS is still trying to duplicate.  Do you have a Trigger on the Popover?  See my post this am about using a PauseScript .3-.5 second delay for increased reliability.  Added to the first line of the OnEnter trigger script and now only get about 10% of the time.  Trying .5 sec next!
                          • 10. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                            TSGal

jeff:

Sorry for not replying earlier.  I did see your message about the 0.3/0.5 second pause.

I finished the last customer issue, and I have just started your application again on my iPad.  I will continue to test this without the Pause script step.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                              databuzz

Hi TSGal,

I'm only seeing this with Popovers at the moment (although this Popover is on a slide control panel).

I do have a script that uses Refresh Object and Window in places - we had issues with the portal (also on a slide control panel) not refreshing and showing all portal rows - particularly the new blank row when adding a new item, so we added a refresh object (portal) to the script that creates a new portal row. So we work like this:

1. user clicks button to add new portal row which runs a script

2. script also does a refresh object on the portal to make sure all portal rows including the newly created one are visible.

3. users scrolls to last portal row and clicks button which opens a Popover

4. sometimes the Popover is blank or only showing a couple of the fields

• 12. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                                TSGal

databuzz:

Thank you for the information.

I know you have only seen this happen a few times, but when this did happen, do you remember if you performed any actions out of the ordinary?  Anything you were doing differently?

You mentioned "only showing a couple of the fields".  The original poster (jeff) only has two fields in his popover (Date and Time fields).  What field types do you have in the Popover?

Do you recall how long you were using FileMaker Go before the blank Popover appeared?  Do you recall what other applications might have been running at the time this occurred?  Did you switch to other applications during the time the solution was open?

Anything else you can think of, even if it seems non-related, may be helpful.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                                  TSGal

jeff:

I left the solution open overnight, and I this morning, the Popover still showed the fields.

I'm still trying by trial and error.  However, it might be helpful If you can recall any actions that are generally performed by the clients that I can follow.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Popovers Blank...sometimes
                                    jeff@jeffmillard.com

Thank you for your viligence! Generally button flow is... with all the bottom poppovers cleared of dates and times... press BLOCK-IN popover, wait 5 min,  Press TAKE-OFF popover,  Wait 10 Min, Press LANDING popover, wait 5 min.  lear out dates and times if no failure and repeat...

about all i can suggest

1 2 3 Previous Next