1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 11:02 AM by JoelShapiro

FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?

JoelShapiro

Hi all

I've got a single editable/enterable field on a layout in FMGo (14).  When I finish editing, I click the close keyboard button but the keyboard immediately reopens.  Is there a way to have the field lose focus (exit the field) when I close the keyboard, or do I need to manually exit the field in order to close the keyboard?

TIA,

-Joel

FWIW: I've seen "Trigger when closing FileMaker Go keyboard" but there's no solution there to this.

FMGo_keyboardClose.gif

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
          skywillmott

Yep, I also wish the close keyboard key would do the same as tapping outside the field, i.e do a Commit, and keep keyboard closed... I think that is expected behaviour, and a flaw/bug that it doesn't do that... Hopefully gets fixed in next update of FMGo 14......

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
            TSPigeon

Joel Shapiro:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate this behavior on my iPad 3rd Generation with FileMaker Go 14.0.2.

When clicking the close keyboard icon in the bottom right of the keyboard it does close and stays closed while the field itself is still in focus.

Please let me know if there is a step I am missing.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
              rgordon

This is a bug in Filemaker Go.  This occurs when you hide the menubar on the keyboard.  If you show the menubar, filemaker will behave as expected. Pigeon, I'm guessing you still have the menubar showing.  If you look at Joel's video the menubar is hidden.  Menubars in FileMaker Go 14 are just a hot mess.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                schamblee

I hope you have used the 'report an issue" to report this bug.  Report an Issue

• 5. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                  Markus Schneider

it is easy to replicate: Open a field by taping into it. Cursor is placed where You tapped. Then close the keyboard by taping on the icon in the lower right corner -> the cursor will disappear, but the field is still active

iPad Air2, 14.02

• 6. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                    TSPigeon

@All:

Thank you all for your responses.

I am now able to reproduce the issue on multiple iOS 8 devices with FileMaker Go 14.0.2.

When clicking the close keyboard icon, in the bottom right of the keyboard, FileMaker Go does reopen the keyboard when the Menubar is hidden.

I have forwarded a report to Testing and Development for review. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                      TSPigeon

@All:

After further testing it seems this is currently an expected response. FileMaker Go 12, 13, and 14 all keep the field "in focus" (active state) after closing the keyboard.

I recommend entering this as a suggestion into the Feature Requests Web Form.

I hope this information is of use!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                        schamblee

Expected by whom?  Just because a bug has been around for several version does not mean it is expected.   There have been many feature request on this topic since 2012, maybe before, I only been a member since 2012. 

I expect the keyboard to operate in FMGo just as it would in other ios app.  If I closed the keyboard it should not open again unless I tap the field.

• 9. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                          TSPigeon

schamblee:

Thank you for your reply.

Information has still been forwarded to Testing and Development for review. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                            JoelShapiro

Thanks all for the corroboration.

I agree with schamblee:  This is not expected behavior for a general user.

FWIW: In my situation -- with just one editable field on the layout -- I created a workaround by putting the editable field in a popover with a "Done" button.

I have submitted a "feature request" to get this to behave as one would normally expect.

• 11. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                              skywillmott

The main issue, and actual bug here in FileMaker Go 14, is not so much the fact that the field remains in focus, but rather that the keyboard does not remain retracted when the 'retract keyboard' key is pressed when the script step to Hide Toolbars (including Edit Record Toolbar) has previously been executed.

I've been toying around with that particular script step (Show/Hide Toolbars) to examine how the 'Retract keyboard' key (iPad only) behaves when the various options are selected for that script step, and found the following:

1. When script step is set to Show Toolbars (including Edit Record Toolbar):

When 'Retract keyboard' key is tapped:

Keyboard retracts and stays there.

Edit Record Toolbar shows at bottom of screen

Cursor disappears

Field remains in focus.

When field is tapped back into:

Keyboad and cursor return.

Tapping 'Done' on Edit Record Toolbar commits record, takes focus off of field, and displays regular toolbar at bottom of screen.

CORRECT BEHAVIOUR

----------------------------------

2. When script step is set to Hide Toolbars (including Edit Record Toolbar):

Keyboard retracts, leaving semi-transparent rectangle in it's place and pops straight back up again!!, with cursor in field and field in focus.

Edit Record Toolbar and regular toolbar both remain hidden at all times.

BUG BEHAVIOUR!!

Keyboard should retract and stay there, with field still in focus, and all toolbars hidden.

Keyboard should return only when field, or another field, is tapped back into.

3. When script step is set to Show Toolbars (NOT including Edit Record Toolbar):

When field is tapped into, Edit Record Toolbar does appear above keyboard even though option for it is unchecked.

Cursor disappears

Field remains in focus.

Keyboard and cursor return.

Tapping 'Done' on Edit Record Toolbar commits record, takes focus off of field, and displays regular toolbar at bottom of screen.

ODD BEHAVIOUR..?

4. When script step is set to Hide Toolbars (NOT including Edit Record Toolbar):

Edit Record Toolbar appears when field is in focus.

Cursor disappears

Field remains in focus.

Keyboard and cursor return.

Tapping 'Done' on Edit Record Toolbar commits record, takes focus off of field, and regular toolbar remains hidden.

CORRECT BEHAVIOUR

I have attached a demo file which illustrates each one of these states, and you should be able to reproduce the same outcomes. You will see four big dark buttons that trigger the Show/Hide script step. Hopefully the bug state, i.e. No. 2 when the keyboard does not retract as intended gets fixed soon :-)

... ahem, and also maybe a return of the FileMaker Go settings option to completely hide the iOS status bar that was previously present in FileMaker Go 11, 12 and 13 - that would be wonderful to have that back after it has been so unceremoniously dropped :-)

cheers,

Sky

• 12. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                                rgordon

Agree 100% with your comments.

• 13. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                                  rgordon

Sky, thank you for the excellent breakdown of this bug.  What I'm still trying to figure out is why the development team thought the changes they made in 14 were a good idea.  This is a classic example of coming up with a solution to a problem that doesn't exist and then creating a new problem with the solution.  I've spent countless hours correcting the problems made by these poorly thought out "features" with the toolbar/status bar/menubars changes.

• 14. Re: FileMaker Go - Exit field when closing keyboard?
                                    databuzz

I encountered this as well this week and was surprised to see this behaviour, so adding my voice to the other requests for the keyboard to remain hidden when you include a script to Hide Toolbars (including Edit Record Toolbar).

1 2 Previous Next