1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 12:16 PM by MacEasy

Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems

ideawise

Popover placed on a simple list view and viewed in webdirect.  Clicking on the popover button displays the popover only when a small number of records are shown. (about 50 or less).  Any more records in the found set and the popover simply will not display when the popover button is clicked. (works fine in FMpro)

Tested and verified same problem with two completely different files and two different 14 servers.  Even tested custom layouts with only three objects, a field a brand new popover button and a button set to go to the popover object to see if that would work.  Nothing worked unless record count was low.

Very surprising issue.  Completely prevents my client's transition to 14.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
          ideawise

By the way, all layouts work as expected through webdirect on server 13.

• 2. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
            ideawise

I have a fellow FMP developer who has experienced the same exact problem.  Anyone have any experience with or thoughts on this issue?  I'd REALLY like to deploy on FMS14 but this breaks a huge part of my interface.

• 3. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
              TSGal

ideawise:

Thank you for your posts.

I am unable to replicate the issue with FileMaker Server 14.0.2 under Mac OS X 10.10.5, and accessing the file via WebDirect with either Google Chrome or Safari.  Here are the steps I took:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 14.0.2 under Mac OS X 10.10.5, I created a database file with three text fields.

2. On the layout, I placed a Popover that displayed one of the text fields.  The Popover displays entirely within the Body part.

3. I imported data from a CSV file that contains 100 records.  I verified all data displays in the 100 records.

4. I turned on List View, and I set the layout to show only in List View.

5. I turned on Network Sharing and configured for WebDirect.

6. I uploaded the file to FileMaker Server 14.0.2.

7. I accessed the file via WebDirect using Safari 8.0.8, and I'm able to click on any record, click on the Popover, and the data appears.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                ideawise

Thank you so much for looking in this. That's so weird that you can duplicate it. There are two of us, experienced phone make a developers. You tried to completely different files. Brand-new test layouts, and two completely different 14 servers. Same problem every time. The only variable we haven't changed is the server company, but they not only assure us that the installations are correct, their installations have been watched over and verified by a FileMaker tech because of the problems they were having with 14.

But I suppose it could be environment specific. I know they are using virtualized Windows servers. Not sure of the details.  Could it possibly be an issue with the version of Java on those boxes, which perhaps is different from the version on your server and thus the different results?

Thanks,

David

• 5. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                  ideawise

Hi,

We can’t figure out what the issue could be.  Just to try to do some elimination testing, the servers we have been hosting this on are:

Windows Server 2008 R2, FileMaker Server 14v2, Java 8.

What server config did you test on?

David

• 6. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                    ideawise

We have repeated and verified this issue with an EXTREMELY simple test file, one field, one popover, on a list view in WebDirect.  The popover only works with about 50 records in the found set. With much more than that it does NOT work.  There is SOMETHING going on here and it is not in the file itself.  ANY suggestions or ideas of where to look for or how to fix the problem would be EXTREMELY welcome.  We are anxious to get to the the many benefits of FMS14.

• 7. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems

Tested it at your website using Safari on iPad. Tested it with 10, 49, 60 and 100 records and the popover worked with all of them.

• 8. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                        ideawise

Thanks for testing that, even though I thought that was a private message. I appreciate your effort.

Trouble is I was never  experiencing the problem in Safari on the iPad. Only on the on full computers.

Again,  I appreciate you taking the time.  Something odd is definitely going on here. It is completely repeatable.

• 9. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                          ideawise

[REPOSTED WITHOUT LINK]

Hi TS,

So we’ve done further testing and we can offer you the ability to see EXACTLY what we are experiencing and verify that there IS some kind of an issue.

Here is a link to a brand new test file we created:

<link removed>

New file, one layout, one field, one popover button.

Open the file in WebDirect. 

With all (100) records showing the popover does not work in mac safari or chrome (also tested in virtualized windows environment). 

BUT… if you omit about 50 records, the popover works as expected.

A test file can’t get much simpler.  So it is obviously something going on in the underlying code somewhere.  Again this is on a professionally installed FMS14 instance, installed EXACTLY as proscribed by filemaker, (with filemaker tech oversight in fact)

Another advanced user who independently verified this strangeness for us said that he suspected it might be something in the way that Vaaden is relaying the javascript instructions, which seems to make some sense to me but I don’t know enough about that to do anything about it. 

Also it is quite curious that the number of records would affect the popover display when the number of records displayed on screen does not change due to the smaller found set.

Can you please please help me get to the bottom of this?  We are holding up at least two major client moves to FMS14 because their interfaces rely on this kind of basic popover interaction in many places, and we desperately NEED a number of the great improvements which FMS14 brings.

I would be also VERY interested to know the server setup you accessed via WebDirect in which your test file worked.  In fact, please feel free to test our file on your setup and let me know what you find. (I’ve included it below.)  I suspect that if your test file worked, this very similar one will also, which would suggest that it is something in the server setup itself. 

I’m trying to get to the bottom of what that difference is because this is basic functionality which I think would affect a LOT of users.

Thanks SO much for your help.

David

P.S. Please don’t post the link to this file in the discussions.

• 10. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                            TSGal

ideawise:

I received your file.  Thank you.

I am able to replicate the issue with the Pop-up not expanding.  I even changed the expanded Pop-up so that it was only contained in the Body part, but the issue still occurs.  If I scroll to the bottom of the list (record 100), the Popover then expands, and it will expand for the last 20 or so records.  However, once I scroll up a page to record 50 or so, the Popover does not expand, and when I scroll back down to the bottom of the list again, the Popover that used to work no longer expands.

I have sent your post and file, along with my findings, to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                              ideawise

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU.

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate you persevering to see this issue in action.  That’s all we wanted. (Well, that and a solution of course)

Hopefully there’s an easy fix, perhaps in changing the server install procedure or something.  But if this requires a FMS point upgrade, wouldn’t this be the kind of thing which would be a priority since it potentially affects a major interface workflow?  I don’t know how things are prioritized when it comes to updates.

Thanks again for working with me on this.  Please let me know if I can do anything to help.

Regards,

David

• 12. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                                TSGal

ideawise:

We're jumping ahead here.  Testing first needs to verify the issue, and their findings are then sent to Development for categorization and prioritization.  I do not have visibility at that point, but I do know that issues that cause crashes or data loss receive the highest priority.

I'll keep you updated as information becomes available to me.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                                  ideawise

Thank you for your help.

David

• 14. Re: Server 14 Webdirect Popover Problems
                                    TSGal

ideawise:

Testing was able to reproduce the issue with another customer file, reported by TSPigeon at: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added

All information has been sent to Development for further review.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 Previous Next