12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2016 2:51 AM by alex78

Cursor always falls behind in text fields

ryanmead83

I'm on Windows using FM 14 and I keep having this issue where the cursor falls behind where it actually is.  I've done new layouts, fonts, etc but this always happens.  It's especially annoying in large fields like notes.  In the screenshot you can see the | cursor between the o and the w, but that's not where it actually is.  It's actually 1 space after the period after the word now, making it incredibly annoying as you think you're typing over words and then if you want to use the cursor keys to move around you have zero idea where the cursor actually is.  It does this for all our users.  Haven't tested it on Mac as most work applications don't work on Mac so I rarely use it.  In many cases too it's not as clear as the screenshot, as in the cursor isn't between letters but will actually right over the o or other letters.

• 1. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
          MattLeach

Im running FM14 on a Windows 8.1 64bit machine and am not experiencing the behavior. Does it happen only in your database? Perhaps open one of the start solutions and see if it happens there as well, this will let you know if its isolated to the database or not.

• 2. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
            TSPigeon

ryanmead83:

Thank you for your post.

It may be the Windows Magnification causing this issue. The following steps should resolve:

1. Right-Click your desktop

2. Select Personalize

3. Select "Display" in the bottom left of the Control Panel

4. Set Magnification to100%

Please let me know if this resolves or if you have further information!

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
              ryanmead83

Thanks everyone.  I'm on Windows 10 so the instructions to change magnification don't work as there's no display option under personalization, only under display settings, but I suspect that might be it as my display is set to 125% since my laptop is high DPI 1920x1080 on a 14" display so icons and buttons are broken sometimes.  This was the reason I returned the last laptop I bought, it was a 13" with like 2560x something crazy on it set to 200% and FileMaker wouldn't work period, interface was totally broken and was told it was because FileMaker doesn't support high DPI.  Unfortunately I can't change it to 100% or the fonts would be incredibly small.  That was the suggestion with the Dell, was told make it 100% which makes fonts impossible to see.

I was hoping FileMaker would have addressed high DPI displays in 14 when it was released since Mac supports it no problem and has since I started using FM with 13.

• 4. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                TSPigeon

ryanmead83:

Thank you for your response.

We are aware of HIDPI issues on the Windows Operating Systems. The suggestion above is currently the only known work around.

Additionally, I have added this post to the report. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                  jcwilson

For quite a few users running Win at 100% is not practical - text too small on all other programs, icons and text etc.  This is a FM bug - PLEASE fix it.  There are several other threads on this here, one of which I posted on.  I bought FM specifically for one user - who HAS to have Windows magnification at 125%.  Yes - 100% fixes it - but makes thae application unusable due to small text size.  ANd I can't even compensate by setting FM to 125% zoom - that doesn't exist.  And 150% FM zoom is too big.

If you have ever tried typing text into a large text field where the cursor is either half an inch to the right or (usually) left of the actual insertion position you would know how difficult and annoying this is.  Simply correcting one character error can take 20 seconds.

• 6. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                    alex78

We have the same problem with FileMaker 14 on Windows 10 .

Have you solved it?

Possibly, can I use another version on Windows 10 to solve the problem? Which version?

Thank you.

• 7. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                      TSGal

alex78:

This issue still exists with Windows (all versions) in FileMaker Pro 14.0.5.  I have attached your post to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                        john@alphaadv.net

Hello,

This has been going on for quite a while.  Clients have their screens set where they like them.  Changing this is not an option.  Do we have a solution yet?

Thank you,

John

• 9. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                          TSGal

john:

There is no additional information at this time.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                            TSGal

All:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                              jcwilson

You are about 3 weeks too late for me.  I have abandoned Filemaker 14 on Windows and FM Go on Ipad,  My user who was complaining bitterly about this, is now back on MS Access and carrying a Win 10 tablet.

A pity as there was much about FM that I liked, and it was certainly easy and quick to put together a near-replica of a set of Access databases and data entry forms. Certainly much easier to use than Access, but that cursor bug was so truly horrible for a text data entry function that I was forced to abandon it.....

• 12. Re: Cursor always falls behind in text fields
                                alex78

OK, perfect!

But, the customer who purchased FM14 and so far he has not been able to use, now can have the version 15 for free?

Because of this problem, our customer still uses the old version 5...