5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 1:25 PM by steveromig

How do you host an encrypted database?

anothersmurf

I want to use encryption at rest for my hosted databases. I found some documentation on how to encrypt my databases, and that went fine. But when I try to host my encrypted databases, they fail to open. The log says "incorrect encryption password", which makes sense, because I was never given an opportunity to specify the encryption password when I tried to open them.

How do you specify an encryption password that the server can use when hosting encrypted databases? And is there some way to store this securely (not plaintext) on the server so that it can open databases automatically on startup?

• 1. Re: How do you host an encrypted database?
          steveromig

I want to use encryption at rest for my hosted databases. I found some documentation on how to encrypt my databases, and that went fine. But when I try to host my encrypted databases, they fail to open. The log says "incorrect encryption password", which makes sense, because I was never given an opportunity to specify the encryption password when I tried to open them.

How do you specify an encryption password that the server can use when hosting encrypted databases? And is there some way to store this securely (not plaintext) on the server so that it can open databases automatically on startup?

The encryption password is configured when you actually encrypted the file using FileMaker Pro Advanced.

Once you do that, you can upload the file to FileMaker Server by way of FileMaker Pro.  During this process you will see a message saying the file needs to be opened by a FileMaker Server administrator.  It will upload to FileMaker Server but it will upload in a "closed" state

Once the file is uploaded, log into your FileMaker Server using the FileMaker Server Admin Console and navigate to the Activity tab.  You'll notice the file you just uploaded is closed.  Highlight it and click the "folder" button and choose "Open."  Here you will be prompted for your encryption password.  Once you have entered it and opened it, no one else will be prompted for the encryption password.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: How do you host an encrypted database?
            anothersmurf

Thank you. I had only tried using Open All, which just failed without prompting for a password. Opening them one at a time does work.

• 3. Re: How do you host an encrypted database?
              electon

Will it ask for encryption password every time the file is closed / opened or only the first time it's opened on server?

• 4. Re: How do you host an encrypted database?
                anothersmurf

If you try it, you'll see a checkbox to allow you to save the password. Best I can tell, that stores the password in a file called keystore. Assuming I'm looking in the right place, it's not plaintext.

• 5. Re: How do you host an encrypted database?
                  steveromig

Will it ask for encryption password every time the file is closed / opened or only the first time it's opened on server?

The first time it is opened on FileMaker Server. 

Clients will not be prompted to enter in the encryption password, but will get prompted for normal authentication if it applies.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.