3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2015 3:27 PM by schamblee

National Geographic Hiring FileMaker Developer

EdwardMcPikeJr

If you are an experienced FileMaker Developer and would be interested in working for National Geographic, please apply to join our award-winning Custom Business Applications team.

Apply Here

Feel free to contact me for more details.

• 1. Re: National Geographic Hiring FileMaker Developer
          schamblee

You might get a better response if you give more information.  Where is the job?  Will NG pay for developer to relocated?   There are developers / users from around the world on this forum. What experience is NG looking for? 

• 2. Re: National Geographic Hiring FileMaker Developer
            EdwardMcPikeJr

I am not actually doing the hiring myself, although i will be part of the interview process.  I just thought I'd spread the word in the community.  As such, I cannot comment on relocation expenses.

I should have used different wording for the link, "Apply Here".  It's actually the full job description with the ability to apply from there.  Here is the full posting, for your convenience.

Summary

The National Geographic Society Software Engineering Team is seeking a software developer to create and maintain applications that support the scheduling, production, and other various business needs of the National Geographic Society. The position requires the ability to work on multiple projects on the same time in an extremely fast-paced environment while maintaining high-quality standards; provide support for solutions with pre-existing code, sometimes on older systems; perform thorough quality assurance testing; develop creative solutions to complex problems; ability to work on highly complex sophisticated custom solutions; lead and mentor other programmers; work both independently and in a team environment; communicate well with fellow team members and customers; adhere to the team standards for application development; provide accurate estimates for new projects and enhancements for on-going projects; and provide support and enhancements for solutions with pre-existing code, sometimes on older systems.

Responsibilities

1. Develop, test and deliver applications to meet approved customer needs in compliance with mutually agreed upon and documented business requirements and the NGST Custom Business Applications development schedules. (45%)
            1. Work with customers to define and document business requirements for new or existing applications; to evaluate potential internal and external solutions (platform(s), interface(s), etc.) to facilitate user acceptance testing and reporting of related results. (25%)
            2. Monitor active applications for acceptable performance, fine tune processes (queries, reports, interfaces, etc.) as necessary, and work with other NGST divisions as appropriate to resolve cross divisional issues.  Provide day-to-day end user support, fielding and addressing user reported concerns regarding production applications, making any required programming changes and maintaining related records of support activities. (15%)
            3. For each assigned application maintain the required “portfolio management” data within the NGST standard service management database. (10%)
            4. Participate in the team’s ongoing standardization, consolidation, and continuous improvement initiatives; and perform other tasks as assigned. (5%)   

Minimum Education Required

BS/BA degree in a related field or related experience required.

Minimum Years and Type of Experience

5+ years  of development experience in FileMaker Pro. The ability to work on multiple concurrent projects is essential.  Strong self-motivation and the ability to work with minimal supervision. A high degree of initiative and the ability to work independently with little day-to-day supervision. Must be a team-oriented individual, energetic, result & delivery oriented, with a keen interest on quality and the ability to meet deadlines.

Knowledge and Skills Required

Excellent data modeling, programming, testing, and debugging skills. Prior experience with mission critical applications. Organizational skills and great attention to detail. Experience with FileMaker WebDirect. Knowledge of SQL. Web programming experience. HTML5 & Javascript. Experience in web services integration (XML & JSON)

Supervision

None

Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.

National Geographic's headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options.  Please visit our careers site at www.nationalgeographic.com/jobs to view this job as well as our full listing of career opportunities.  National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.

• 3. Re: National Geographic Hiring FileMaker Developer
              schamblee

Thanks for the additional information, I was not wanting to apply so I didn't click the link to apply now.    Maybe you will get a good response.  When a comment is added it bumps it back to the top, so maybe a few more people will see it.