4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2015 9:00 AM by RubenVanDenBoogaard

switch between shared databases on fixed IP  FM13 adv

quirkycrone

Recently I split a database into two parts: I was getting worried about the size and complexity.

I can run this in native filemaker and had no problem creating scripts to move from one database to the other.

But when I set this up on the machine that I use as a locus for sharing (with a fixed IP, etc) It says it can't find the second database when I give it a command to open the file.

So I have tried writing an opening script for the first database that opens two databases and names them in the hope I could switch between one or the other via scripting...so far, it's not look to hot.

Anyone else out there ever have similar issues?

• 1. Re: switch between shared databases on fixed IP  FM13 adv
          kirkman

Are the ip address' on the same subnet?

• 2. Re: switch between shared databases on fixed IP  FM13 adv
            wimdecorte

Could it be that you missed a file reference?

• 3. Re: switch between shared databases on fixed IP  FM13 adv
              quirkycrone

I am still not sure why it is now working, but it is! Partially this is because of the limitations I have on testing. I am a team of one when I develop this software, and licensing and financial limitations mean I can't readily test databases running on the IP, I have had to resort to using my IPAD and testing by borrowing a neighbors wifi in order to make the connection. So, I rely on my client to test, and I can't always be looking over their shoulder to see what issues might be causing the problem.

I do know that I checked all of the configurations under manage external data sources before I retested and reset them. (Which incidentally IS also the place that you can eliminate annoying references to secondary attached databases once you are quite done with reorganizing your tables when you split a database...nice to know!)

The great virtue in splitting the database, for me, as ongoing developer and person responsible for maintaining data integrity and solving issues when under development, is that I was able to finally create a "clean" relationship chart out of a developmental sandbox. Oh Joy! The time spent on this effort will reap great dividends for both myself and my clients!

I would happily try to help others who decide to undertake creating a split database solution, and would love to hear from others who have successfully done so...I imagine there are issues I haven't yet addressed, and working as a "solitaire" has me missing the other programmer at the next desk. Oftentimes, just the opportunity to "share" a conundrum helps to clarify a murky situation.

• 4. Re: switch between shared databases on fixed IP  FM13 adv
                RubenVanDenBoogaard

You don't tell if you are hosting the database on FM server or use FMP to host the files.

Are you sure that the second file is also set to sharing? and if you use FMP are you sure that the second file is also open on the server?

Then you should be able to connect to the second file.

hth

Ruben