1 2 3 Previous Next 34 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2016 8:15 AM by jbardwell

Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2

ThomasBauer

On Win 7 64 bit with FM 14.0.2

In the Script Workspace it stills happens from time to time that klicking on a skript in the list of scripts makes the klicked script to jump to the end of the list (or an other position in the list)

With kind regards

Thomas Bauer

• 1. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
          user19752

Exactlly same environment, I also saw it once, double clicking script folder didn't open/close it, move it to bottom of list instead.

• 2. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
            TSGal

ThomasBauer:

Thank you for your post.

Our Development and Testing departments are aware of the entire script adjusting so that the selected script displays at the bottom, but the script step should no longer be moved to a different position in the script.  This appears to occur more often if the script has many lines and your focus is near the end of the script.

I have attached this thread to the original report.  When more information becomes available, I will post again.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
              ThomasBauer

This appears to occur more often if the script has many lines and your focus is near the end of the script.

Just for clarification: I do not open/touch/edit the script itself

What I did: I klicked on the script name in the list of scripts in the left column (which lists all scripts of the solution). Simply by klicking on the scriptname triggers the 'jump action' of the whole script

Regards

Thomas

• 4. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                TSGal

ThomasBauer:

I am unable to replicate the issue using FileMaker Pro Advanced 14.0.2 under Windows 7.  I have more than 100 scripts in a solution, and neither clicking the script step nor renaming the script step moves the script position in the script pane.

Does this issue occur with every solution or just a specific solution?

Is the script moving to a new location?  Or, is the script pane adjusting to show the script at the bottom?

Let me know what else I can do to replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                  ThomasBauer

TSGal:

In my solution I have more than 1500 single scripts.

At the time beeing I am engaged to consolidate a 15-file solution in one file (having imported the scripts from the old solution) This work started with FM 13 (back then without any issue)  and at the time beeing I switched over to FM 14.

This "Jump Effect" is not appearing at a basis that enables me to give you a reliable hint how to reproduce it on a regular and reproducable basis. But I am not the only one to encounter that behaviour, since in the German Forum of the FileMaker Magazin a collegue is confronted with the same behaviour. But as said: it is hard to find out which prerequisite triggers that behaviour.

And YES the whole script is 'beamed' to the bottom of the whole list of scripts (and the focus moved along to the end as well)

• 6. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                    hschlossberg

Ugh.  I noticed one of my scripts at the bottom yesterday (should have been about two-thirds down my list of scripts) and I figured I must have somehow moved it without realizing.  Now seeing Thomas's experience makes me think maybe there was something more to it.  I'll continue to keep an eye out for it again.

Howard

• 7. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                      ThomasBauer

TSGal:

just encountered: a script jumped/repositioned within the list of the scripts of the solution from the last position to the top: a whopping distance of 3150 scripts in between.

Slowly but surely it reminds me of the 3 shell game: Learn The Three Shell Game - YouTube

• 8. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                        TSGal

ThomasBauer:

Thank you for the additional information.

I know there is an issue with pop-up menu limitations in Windows of 256 items.  That is, if you try to go to a Layout greater than 256, you are taken to the last layout.  (Under Mac OS X, it is 32,768 items).  Since you have more than 256 scripts, and since the script is appearing at the bottom, my first thought is if these two issues are related.  Testing out this theory on a file with more than 500 scripts, I cannot replicate the issue, so there is definitely another factor.

Still, do you notice if the script that has now moved to the bottom appeared after the first 256 scripts?  Have you ever seen a script in the first 256 scripts moved to the bottom of the list?

Howard Schlossberg:

Thank you for your comments.

How many scripts do you have in your solution?  In the script that "should have been about two-thirds down my list of scripts", was it originally displayed after the 256th script?

Is there any other information you can provide that can help me replicate the issue?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                          ThomasBauer

Dear TSGal:

what I am observing/reporting is all happening within the edited Script Workspace (where all defined scripts are listed in one column on the left side)

What I can observe: by klicking on the name of a script (I did not try to identify the position number of that script within the ranking of my +3000 scripts) triggers the 'beaming' In the majority of all cases the klicked script "escapes" to the end of the listed scripts. But today a script chose the opposite direction: it jumped to position 1

I appreciate that Howard reports the similar behavior, which adds credability but not necessarily the solution since as mentioned the repeatability is < 5 %

Kind regards

Thomas

• 10. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                            hschlossberg

THe solution where I saw it has 337 scripts, so it's possible that the script in question could have been either before or after #256.  Since I'd assumed it was somehow my fault when it happened, I'll be paying more attention to things if it happens again.  I realize we're all grabbing at straws for lack of anything else, but it would seem to me that the limits of the pop-up menu that applies to the layout menu would not apply here since the script list is a very different type of UI object.

Howard

• 11. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                              TSGal

hschlossberg:

Yes, I'm "grasping at straws", and I don't believe the pop-up menu limitation applies to this issue, but in both cases, there were a lot of values (layouts/scripts) and focus shifted to the end.  That is why I thought it might be related to the "256" value.  On top of that, "ThomasBauer" proved that theory wrong as the focus jumped to the first position.  However, the "256" value may still be a contributing factor, even if it may not be the main factor.

Keep in mind that the Script Workspace is new, and even though some of the major issues were addressed in the FileMaker Pro 14.0.2 update, there may be other issues that were not discovered by Testing.  Any time you encounter something unexpectedly, don't assume it is your "fault".  Report it, either publicly or privately, and let us determine the possible cause(s).

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                                ThomasBauer

TSGal schrieb:

"ThomasBauer" proved that theory wrong as the focus jumped to the first position.

Sorry to clarify:

• the focus (in my solution) ALWAY jumps to the bottom (reproducability = 100%; file on the way to forumsupport@filemaker.com)
                                • When it happens (reproducability < 5 %) the scipts jump usually to the end of the list of scripts, but today -for the first time - to the pole position (also seen in the file sent)

Cheers

Thomas

• 13. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                                  hschlossberg

Ugh.  This is real.  It just happened to me again, where the very first FOLDER at the very top of the script list (with all its enclosed scripts) somehow ended up as the very last folder.  This is in a list of about 340 scripts where all folders are expanded -- which is to say that had I somehow accidentally dragged the folder from the top to the bottom, I definitely would have noticed since such a move takes about 20 seconds to drag/scroll through the entire list.

That said, I have no idea how it happened.  I just had to report that there's no doubt in my mind that it did just happen to me.

Howard

• 14. Re: Script still 'jumps' in the list of Scripts after Update to 14.0.2
                                    TSGal

hschlossberg:

Thank you for your comments.

I have also sent this information to Development and Testing for review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

1 2 3 Previous Next