12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2015 6:46 AM by psijmons

Long delay in opening first file

psijmons

At one of our clients there is a long (2-3 min) delay opening FMPA (v13), I suspect it is looking for a license conflict.

It is quite a substantial LAN (200+) and has 5 instances of FMPA 13 installed.

Hardware specs are:

VMWare vritual server, Windows Server 2012 R2

INTEL (R)  XEON (R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60 GHz  (2x)

8 Gb RAM

so it is well within specs.

It happens when I start FMPA directly on the server, not when I open FMPA on a client on the same network.

Is there any know solution for this?

It is not critcal, just annoying when you need to get in quickly.

• 1. Re: Long delay in opening first file
          steveromig

At one of our clients there is a long (2-3 min) delay opening FMPA (v13), I suspect it is looking for a license conflict.

It is quite a substantial LAN (200+) and has 5 instances of FMPA 13 installed.

Hardware specs are:

VMWare vritual server, Windows Server 2012 R2

INTEL (R)  XEON (R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60 GHz  (2x)

8 Gb RAM

so it is well within specs.

It happens when I start FMPA directly on the server, not when I open FMPA on a client on the same network.

Is there any know solution for this?

It is not critcal, just annoying when you need to get in quickly.

When I hear something like this, especially when it is only affecting one, or a few, files, I immediately think file references.  And specifically file references that utilize a wildcard.

Check File > Manage > External Data Sources and see if all the entries there are valid.  If some of them are using wildcards, see if you can clean them up with direct links instead.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Long delay in opening first file
            mikebeargie

Usually those delays I've seen caused by invalid entries in the favorite hosts file as it retries the invalid host before falling over to the next one. Have you tried deleting the favorite hosts entries?

*edit*, actually if it happens after you've hit open to open a file, then Steve's hint is better.

• 3. Re: Long delay in opening first file
              psijmons

Unfortunately, this did not do the trick.

We use a clean launcher file with only 1 IP number registered in the External DataSources.

There are no items in Favourite hosts, and local hosts shows the 3 FMServers that are active almost instantly.

When I just launch FMPA prorgam, the delay is already apparent.

I see this effect on the production server and the test server which both have exactly the same specs.

Installation was standard, 2 plugins present (SuperContainer, BE_Elements, both latest version)

• 4. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                taylorsharpe

I assume you debugged the script step to see if the delay is happening before the first step or if it is a step in the opening script step delaying things.  If it happened before the first step, then it probably has to do with external file references.  Do you have any external file references?  If they reference a file on the same server, then I  recommend you just use the file:database name format and not have an IP or domain name.  Are you using external authentication with Active Directory, Open Directory, LDAP?

• 5. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                  psijmons

It is even happening when I open a single table sample file, or no file at all, just the program.

Once the program is open after the 2 min delay, then I click the Launcher, everything (Launcher & solution files) opens instantly, no delay whatsoever.

I am still gearing towards the check for conflicting license codes, possibly in combination with virtual server?

Hard combi to debug, I realize that, just wondering if this has been seen by others or is this a local IT issue?

The network is pretty complex, wide range of PC's (XP to Windows10, macs in various OS, Active Directory is in use).

I will ask local IT to login that machine and ask if this occurs for them too.

• 6. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                    DavidJondreau

Well, if it's happening on the opening of the application, that indicates it has nothing to do with the license key or the network. Except I'm confused as to how you're opening this application. You say, opening "FMPA directly on the server". Are you using a remote desktop to log into the machine hosting FM Server and opening an FMPA client on that machine? There seems to be a lot of crossover between the server and the client in your descriptions.

If it's happening just when launching the FM application itself (not opening any file), it could be an OS issue. What OS are you use on this machine that FMPA is running on? Have you reinstalled FM on the machine? Have you update the FM to v2?

• 7. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                      psijmons

Sorry, I was not clear about this.

This is a dedicated server for FMS v13, but there is one extra application: FMPA v13.09  just for local debugging purposes.

I connect to this server using TeamViewerHost.

But your remark that it must be at OS level triggered an idea: I had FMS set to occupy the max available RAM so opening FMPro may require to free up memory.

Just reduced that with 500 Mb, rebooted, but FMPA still starts with a 2 min delay (FMPA is set to use 254 Mb RAM)

• 8. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                        DavidJondreau

Are you able to access the server directly? Like plug in a monitor and keyboard? I'm wondering if it's the TeamViewer slowing your machine down.

Have you tried re-installing FMP13?

Also, a quick fix would be to just leave the FMPA app open all the time (with the files closed).

• 9. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                          psijmons

Unfortunately, 1500 km away, but  I use TeamviewerHost on a dozen servers, never gave me a problem before.

Leaving FMPA open is an option but the LastWindowClose trigger includes an Exit application step, a feature I do not want to remove.

I will re-install FMPA this weekend & keep you posted.

• 10. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                            siplus

You might be surprised by the speed boost obtained in app launch when you DRASTICALLY shorten the font list. (

also remember to remove font cache with Onyx and then restart.

• 11. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                              psijmons

Did several Uninstall / Install cycles for FMPA 13.09 on different drives, but none solved the opening delay.

I'm going to live with it, next time when I'm on site, I will see if local IT can be pressed for answers.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

• 12. Re: Long delay in opening first file
                                psijmons

This one took a while to get solved but finally nailed the cause of the delay and for the record, I post it here

Thanks to feedback of Clay Maeckel from FMI who I met at a devcon. He assured me the license check could not be the issue so I went back to check more details.

Looking with the Taskmanager open, FMPA is put in the background processes directly, then moves up to running Apps in 2-3 minutes. But a security program ( F-Secure Manager) was running a scan in the background on FMPA before it could open.

Adding FMPA to the white list was the solution.