4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2015 8:05 AM by jurgmay

Exporting records - local vs remote

jurgmay

Hello,

I have a solution hosted on FMS that has an export function which exports the records from a search module a .csv file. The results from the search are shown in a portal and the function only exports fields from the base table, there is no data pulled from across relationships.

When I run this locally, exporting 2,000 records takes about 3 seconds.

When my customer runs this from a location some 50 miles away it take about 3 minutes.

My understanding is that the client would pull down the entire record data for all of the records in the found set and therefore I assumed that the export would be as fast for my customer as it is for me, on the basis that all record data already resides on their PC at the time of exporting.

Have I got this wrong? It seems as if the data is only being pulled down from the server at the time of export and is therefore not held locally.

Thanks,

Juerg

• 1. Re: Exporting records - local vs remote
          Mike_Mitchell

"Have I got this wrong?"

Yes.   

Record caching is done, not based on the found set, but based on the layout view. In Form view, records are cached in 25-record chunks. In List or Table view, they're cached as needed to be displayed. So if you have 2,000 records in Form view, the first 25 will be loaded when the user enters that layout. The next 1,975 will be pulled down as the export executes.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Exporting records - local vs remote
            jurgmay

Thanks Mike. I was starting to think I got it wrong!

However, I've just connected in remotely and downloaded 4,823 records almost instantly.

I'm thinking it would be quicker to run the query on the server, export the file and have the server email the customer with the data attached! Seems a bit clunky but I'm sure it would be faster than 3 minutes.

Any idea what could cause such a difference between my test on 2.5 times more records and their experience? I guess broadband speed is the most obvious but would it really make that much difference?

Juerg

• 3. Re: Exporting records - local vs remote
              Mike_Mitchell

Yes, network speed makes a tremendous difference. But network latency makes an even bigger difference. If you're close to the server, and he's farther away, then that alone will account for surprisingly big gaps in performance.

Emailing from the server is a very good alternative in many of these situations, especially if the user doesn't need the data in real time.

• 4. Re: Exporting records - local vs remote
                jurgmay

Thanks Mike. This is all really useful info.

I've only been using FMS for a few months and I'm learning very fast!