6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2017 9:30 AM by user29507

custom functions in Filemaker Pro

petermontague1

Is it possible to use a custom function that is made in a database in filemaker pro advanced in filemaker pro 13 and 14?

How can I import it?

• 1. Re: custom functions in Filemaker Pro
          erolst

You cannot import a CF when opening a file with regular FM Pro, because only Advanced has an interface for managing CFs.

You can use an existing Custom Function in a database without having Advanced; you just cannot edit it.

If you only want to re-use a function's code, and that function is not recursive*, you can copy its code and use it in a calc field or any other calculation dialog – where you have to adapt the Custom Function's arguments (if any) into inline references.

*Even then it is possible, though a bit complicated.

What's your scenario?

• 2. Re: custom functions in Filemaker Pro

Thanks for your advice.

I have a database where I store my books. I have a multi user license for filemaker pro. I want other users to be able to use the custom function. At the moment I am getting error 5 because I'm using the custom function in the database in Filemaker Pro. How can I get it to work in Filemaker Pro?

• 3. Re: custom functions in Filemaker Pro
              petermontague1

Thanks for your advice.

I have a database where I store my books. I have a multi user license for filemaker pro. I want other users to be able to use the custom function. At the moment I am getting error 5 because I'm using the custom function in the database in Filemaker Pro. How can I get it to work in Filemaker Pro?

• 4. Re: custom functions in Filemaker Pro
                Mike_Mitchell

Guest wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

Are you certain the error is coming for this reason? What erolst said is fundamental: A custom function is no different than any other function. Any client can use the code. Something else is likely going on here. Is there a dependency? Some other CF that didn't get imported? Or perhaps a parameter that's not being passed?

• 5. Re: custom functions in Filemaker Pro
                  petermontague1

tthanks Mike. I adjusted the parsing parameters of the custom function and it works in all versions now.

• 6. Re: custom functions in Filemaker Pro
                    user29507

Can you post an example. I'm struggling with a similar issue with Google Map integration on Filemaker Pro 15. I am realizing I should have just purchased the advanced version.... but in the meanwhile....