11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 7:40 AM by wfgclapp

Base directory on server if file name changes...

wfgclapp

FMProA14, FMServer14, FMGo14

I have a file hosted on the server. If I go to Manage->Containers, I see a base directory named CRMpal. This was the original name of my file. I have since changed the name of the file to 'Sales Link'. And honestly, I can't remember exactly what I did to change this name. I think I simply renamed the file on the server.

Regardless, there is no longer a folder called 'CRMpal' in the Databases directory on the server. There is a folder named 'Sales Link'.

I am wanting to save an image from a container field on the server. I want to use Export Record to get it there. I am doing this exact process in another file and am just trying to repeat it.

But, it isn't working because there is no longer a Base Directory named 'CRMpal'. I manually created such a folder on the server, but I still can't get Export Record to put the container file there.

I'm relatively new to FM and suspect there's a lot about base directories I don't fully grasp. I would love it if anyone could share insight into how I might get these images onto my server.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
          wfgclapp

Ok, I've figured out part of this. As I export a file to the server, a 'CRMpal' directory is created under 'Sales Link' and the file is successfully exported.

I was also scripting to clean some temp files up from my device but I was doing it wrong and instead wiping out my newly exported file. Which then deleted the 'CRMpal' directory. So when I went to look, it appears as though the file was never there.

So...essentially, problem solved.

I AM however, interested is anyone knows a way to change the name of a base directory on a hosted file if you've changed the name of the file. Would just be cleaner.

• 2. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
            electon

Do you mean the container refuses to store any data or you can't find it on the server?

Have you looked in RC_Data_FMS folder?

• 3. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
              wimdecorte

Normally you don't have to worry about how FMS names those folders or where it puts them... what exactly are you doing that you need it?

Export Field Contents is a client side activity, not server-side.  And when you use Export Field Contents you don't need to know its path.  So I'm not following exactly what you are doing.

If you are manipulating the server-side folders manually by putting files in them and retrieving them then: don't.

• 4. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                wfgclapp

wimdecorte wrote:

Normally you don't have to worry about how FMS names those folders or where it puts them... what exactly are you doing that you need it?

Export Field Contents is a client side activity, not server-side.  And when you use Export Field Contents you don't need to know its path.  So I'm not following exactly what you are doing.

If you are manipulating the server-side folders manually by putting files in them and retrieving them then: don't.

I am taking images with FMGo and I want to have them on FMServer for my back-end system to be able to retrieve via FTP. I have that working and I can work with the path where FM is dumping those images on server. I just wish I could clean up that pathname. Because I had originally named my file 'CRMpal', the path being used is now: /Data/Databases/RC_Data_FMS/Sales Link/CRMpal/images/"   Since CRMpal no longer exists, it just bugs me that it still has to be part of that path name. But like I said, I'll live.

The Export Field Contents. Honestly I can't remember EXACTLY why I'm doing that. I have a solution I created about a year ago that did something similar and this step came into play from advice I got from someone at that time. Today, I'm simply copying my process from that other solution. If I remember right, I think this step is in there so I can give the image a particular name. I use Export Field Contents to put the image on the phone with the name I want, then I insert the image into an externally stored container field. Now the image is on the server with the name I want. There may be an easier way, but like I said, this is how I got it working last time.

Would you mind fleshing our your last comment a bit more? Cause this sounds like what I'm doing. I'm not really manipulating any folders but I certainly wanting to put files in them and then retrieve those files with my back end. What part of that is bad?

Thanks!!

• 5. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                  wimdecorte

wfgclapp wrote:

I am taking images with FMGo and I want to have them on FMServer for my back-end system to be able to retrieve via FTP.

The FTP part is the part that should not happen... Remote Container data files should be treated like live FM files and left alone.  Nothing else should be able to touch it: no direct AV, no OS file sharing, no FTP access.

The remote container feature is not a document management system.

• 6. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                    wfgclapp

wimdecorte wrote:

The FTP part is the part that should not happen... Remote Container data files should be treated like live FM files and left alone.  Nothing else should be able to touch it: no direct AV, no OS file sharing, no FTP access.

The remote container feature is not a document management system.

Uh oh.  Is there a more standard way of doing this?

• 7. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                      Suresh

Which location you installed FileMaker Server?

If you install FMP without changes, try to put those files following folder,

"C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases"

After try to change the names of those files & check

Good Luck

• 8. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                        wimdecorte

Sure... but the best solution for you depends on the business logic and requirements of your solution.  There is no simple "oh, do this instead" answer.  Perhaps you don't need FTP at all, perhaps there are other ways to integrate with the other applications.

• 9. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                          wfgclapp

wimdecorte wrote:

Sure... but the best solution for you depends on the business logic and requirements of your solution.  There is no simple "oh, do this instead" answer.  Perhaps you don't need FTP at all, perhaps there are other ways to integrate with the other applications.

Unfortunately only thing we have to transfer files back and forth from FMServer to back-end server is FTP. Unless FMServer can dump a file onto a mapped drive on the FMServer.

I'll keep researching and poking around. Thanks for all the help!

• 10. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                            wfgclapp

electon wrote:

Do you mean the container refuses to store any data or you can't find it on the server?

Have you looked in RC_Data_FMS folder?

I've figured out where the file is being store and in that sense, all is now well. THanks!

• 11. Re: Base directory on server if file name changes...
                              wfgclapp

Suresh wrote:

Which location you installed FileMaker Server?

If you install FMP without changes, try to put those files following folder,

"C:\Program Files\FileMaker\FileMaker Server\Data\Databases"

After try to change the names of those files & check

Good Luck

THanks.