4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 11:33 AM by skywillmott

FileMaker Go 14 - How do the 'Insert from Device (Video Camera)...' script step resolution options work?

skywillmott

Anybody have any idea what the resolution options of Full, Large, Medium and Small for the script step 'Insert from Device...' and Video Camera is selected are meant to do??

I have tried all four settings and the resulting videos that get stored in the container field don't really seem any different from one another.... In fact, when I recorded 4 clips of equal length, the 'Full' size setting actually gave me the smallest file size, although all four were 1920x1080 resolution at  60fps taken using an iPhone 6... Kinda strange.

I was hoping to get lower resolutions/fps for the lower quality settings for the script step, but it seems not so....

resolution.png

• 1. Re: FileMaker Go 14 - How do the 'Insert from Device (Video Camera)...' script step resolution options work?
          steveromig

Anybody have any idea what the resolution options of Full, Large, Medium and Small for the script step 'Insert from Device...' and Video Camera is selected are meant to do??

I have tried all four settings and the resulting videos that get stored in the container field don't really seem any different from one another.... In fact, when I recorded 4 clips of equal length, the 'Full' size setting actually gave me the smallest file size, although all four were 1920x1080 resolution at  60fps taken using an iPhone 6... Kinda strange.

I was hoping to get lower resolutions/fps for the lower quality settings for the script step, but it seems not so....

resolution.png

I am unable to reproduce this with my iPhone 6+.

Regardless of whether I choose photo or video, the results are about what I'd expect.  I pulled the metadata using GetContainerAttribute (except the video resolution which I got from exporting the data and looking at it on my Mac.)

Photo:

FULL:  2448 x 3264

LARGE:  960 x 1280

MEDIUM:  480 x 640

SMALL:  240 x 320

Video: 5 seconds of video.

FULL:  Filesize: 12273077 / Internal Size:  1273134 / 1080 x 1920

LARGE:  Filesize:  1394493 / Internal Size:  1394550 / 480 x 640

MEDIUM:  Filesize:  601125 / Internal Size:  601182 / 320 x 480

SMALL:  Filesize:  133306 / Internal Size:  133363 / 144 x 192

My script(s) only consisted of the Insert From Device script step with the proper changes for Full, Large, Medium, or Small and were all shot using the back camera.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FileMaker Go 14 - How do the 'Insert from Device (Video Camera)...' script step resolution options work?
            schamblee

Thanks Steve,  I couldn't find any reference to this information either. 

This might be a nice bit of information to add to the FM help page.

• 3. Re: FileMaker Go 14 - How do the 'Insert from Device (Video Camera)...' script step resolution options work?
              steveromig

Thanks Steve,  I couldn't find any reference to this information either.

This might be a nice bit of information to add to the FM help page.

...or the knowledge base.

I suspect the values will vary depending on the device you are using so it might not quite be as simple as publishing the values from my iPhone 6+.

In any event, it does seem like this would be useful information.  I'll see what I can do.

Steve Romig

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FileMaker Go 14 - How do the 'Insert from Device (Video Camera)...' script step resolution options work?
                skywillmott

Aha, I think I found what the problem was... I was using an iPhone 6 running the iOS 9.0 Beta 5 (13A4325c), which in the iOS Settings for 'Photos & Camera' has 'Record Video' options of:

- 720p HD at 30 fps

- 1080p HD at 30 fps (the default)

- 1080p HD at 60 fps

I had it set at 1080p HD at 60 fps, and this setting seems to override the settings in the FileMaker Go script. When I switched it back to the default of 1080p HD at 30 fps, the FileMaker Go settings of Full, Large, Medium and Small all worked as expected.... I haven't properly tested it with the iOS setting of 720 HD at 30 fps however.....

So I guess not officially a bug (yet)... the hazards (and discoveries) of Beta hey :-) It will be interesting to see if this behaviour still exists when iOS 9 is officially released, or whether FMGo will need an update...

Thanks for looking into it Steve...

cheers,

Sky.