user10625

Hello all,

Windows Server 2008 R2

Had a long-working install of Filemaker Server 13.5

Went to upgrade in the usual manner:

Un-installed it.

Re-booted.

Installed Filemaker Server 14.2

When I get to the admin panel, nothing appears for  the URL  (localhost:16001/admin-console)

Tried un-installing and re-installing, no dice.  The browser just shows a blank screen for the admin console.

I tried doing “fmsadmin restart adminserver” in the command line, but no dice with that either. 

(Note:  This is all before I have done ANY setup, because I didn’t even get to that stage.)

Finally, I gave up and un-installed 14.2, then re-installed FMS 13.5 again.  It installed successfully.

When I opened FMS 13.5,  I noticed that the logs said a few instances of:

“Admin Server process is not responding”, during the period when I was trying to install FMS 14.2

Clearly that’s the culprit, which is why I tried using the command-line above, but that didn’t seem to work.

1)  I thought this was fixed with v-rev 2 of FMS 14?

2)  Any other workarounds or things I might try?

Thanks,

Christopher Bailey

• 1. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
          user19752

Is there enough memory? FMS14 eat more than 13.

How about disabling IIS (and uninstall ARR) before install FMS14.

• 2. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
            Suresh

Hi user10625,

What is your system configuration.?

Because if it doesn't have any proper system requirement also you may face these kind of issues!!

For System Configuration Help follow these links: FileMaker Server 14 | FileMaker Pro 14 | FileMaker Go 14

Good Luck

- Suresh

• 3. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
              user10625

There is plenty of memory.... 32 GB I believe.

I really hope I don't need to go down the IIS/ARR disabling route.  First of all, I'm going to be using XML web publishing, so ultimately I need IIS.  Second, last time I started playing with those things, I basically messed up the server and we had to re-build the machine.

I have another test machine, with a nearly identical configuration--same IIS/ARR, etc.--(and actually less memory and processors), where I did a 14 install, and it all worked fine.

Chris

• 4. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                user10625

It's Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, as I said at the beginning of my OP.

• 5. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                  CICT

Christopher

Do you have active anti-virus running on the server. Our first install was scuppered by Sophos, something that hadn't happened before. Although we're always advised to disable AV before installing software, we very rarely do as Sophos has been well behaved over many years. The symptoms were an inability to run the server deployment with a blank web page.

Regards

Andy

• 6. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                    JohnAndrews

Hi Guys,

I'm following these posts with interest as I have a similar problem.   Recently installed FM-Server14 onto a hosted WindowsServer 2012 R2.  Initially ran fine, except the WebPublishing engine kept 'switching itself' OFF.  I now find I cannot run the Admin Console (get the "This page can't be displayed" )   I also installed MirrorSync-2 from 360Works between the above two problems, but have subsequently uninstalled it.   That didn't resolve the FM issues.   Not running any anti-virus.

John

( South African bushveld )

• 7. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                      CICT

John

Have you checked whether the WebPublishing is actually not working, or just being displayed as not working in FMSAdmin? There was a bug in v13 where WebPublishing reported to be switched off, but in fact was working OK.

Also just check you've got the correct https prefix for port 16000 as http won't work.

We've FMS 14.0v2 running without problems on 2 x Windows 2012 servers - well 3 to be accurate, as we have both a single and two server deployment. We do still get the timout problem (green, amber red icon in top right) but in general it has been pretty good.

Regards

Andy

• 8. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                        schamblee

Have you updated java?  FMS13 would not run with the newest version of Java version 8.   FMS14 may require the newest version.  The admin console would not work on 13 if it had Java 8.   FMS14 may require 8 to work.   I still haven't installed FMS14 because of some of the early bugs with FMS14. Since you stated you rolled back to FMS13 I was not sure that you had the newest version of Java.  It is possible to have more than one version of Java installed.

• 9. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                          user10625

Have you updated java?  FMS13 would not run with the newest version of Java version 8.   FMS14 may require

> the newest version.  The admin console would not work on 13 if it had Java 8.   FMS14 may require 8 to work.   I

> still haven't installed FMS14 because of some of the early bugs with FMS14. Since you stated you rolled back to

>  FMS13 I was not sure that you had the newest version of Java.  It is possible to have more than one version of Java >  installed.

So yeah . . this might be the rub.  While installing FM14.2,  it told me it was installing Java 8.  It sat for a long time doing this, (supposedly) and then continued on.

Interestingly, though, when I look in the installed Programs on Windows, I see only the old Java 7.  also, as you point out, FMS13 is working, which if you are correct means 8 never got installed.  I wonder why that would be.

I wonder if it would work to de-install Java 7 "manually", and put in Java 8.    But on my test server, where FMS14.2 installed just fine, both Java 7 and 8 are listed as installed Programs/Features. 

I wonder what would be preventing FMS from installing Java 8 ?

Chris

• 10. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                            user19752

You can compare to working machine that how IIS redirections configured.

In my very limited experience, there was no error in installation log, but redirections and PHP configration was broken when I uninstalled FMS13 and installed FMS14 over existing IIS.

IIS/ARR will be automatically installed with FMS14.

This is not "upgrade", something near clear install.

I hope any other replies hit your case...

You didn't write clearing Java and browser cache process, so Java thing has chance?

• 11. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                              JohnAndrews

Hi Andy,

Definitely got the https thing right - currently can't get AdminConsole to run to check WebPublishing status, but https://[IP address]/fmi/webd/ is not responding.

I don't want to hijack this thread from Chris - so will 'watch from the sidelines'.

Thanks,

John

• 12. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                                schamblee

Something else may have interfered with java installing. 

You can download java from here : Download Free Java Software

It will ask if you want to remove 7 because of security issue with 7.   FMS13 Admin Console will not work with Java 8 so you may want to leave 7 until you get FMS14 running.   You can have both Java 7 and 8 installed at the same time.

• 13. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                                  user10625

To report back and return to this issue from some time ago . . . . . . the recap is that (on Windows Server 2008 R2) FMS 14.2 was installed, but, when finished, the admin console would not come up.  The problem I was having was definitely that Java 8 was not installing during the FMS install.  (This problem happened silently, with no error messages or warnings, so I had to sleuth it out).

After some experimentation, I discovered that the only way to get it to work was to make sure that during installation, the machine was not able to access the internet.  For whatever reason, that allowed the installer to install Java 8, and then everything worked.

So I literally had to pull out the network cable for a few minutes while the installer ran.  Once it was done, I plugged it back in and all worked fine.

I haven't/hadn't seen this with any other installs of FMS14,  and I have no idea what caused the problem.  The IT guy I work with at this client had no idea either.  This was a very "well-behaved", "clean" machine with nothing but FMS on it.  On another test server at the same client I did the same install and it worked fine.

Very strange,

Chris Bailey

• 14. Re: Installing Filemaker 14.2 --- immediate Admin Console issue
                                    schamblee

Thanks for the update. Maybe this will give FMI an idea what might be causing the issue and prevent others from having to reinstalling a few times.  I have just installed java separately, I guess it does make you nervous if one item  fails to install, then another item may also failed.