3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 12:19 AM by bigtom

Object name issue in FM14.

bigtom

Object names disappear after adding button functionality to a field or text object. This does not effect native button objects. I noticed this today in FM 14. The name gets stored but it will not work with Go to Object and it only appears in the DDR. It is missing from the inspector. When trying to add the name again it gives an error that the object name is already in use.

I did find this documentation on the issue finally:

Object name is hidden when object becomes a button | FileMaker

However the issue is when you set the button to Do Nothing the original name does not appear or become usable again with FM14. This does work properly in FM12 and 13.

The only ways to get around this are to name for the first time after using button setup or to delete the original object if it was named before button setup. Doing this after copying it seems to be the best idea. I had to spend a bit of time trying to figure it out. Can anyone confirm this issue with FM14?

How I produced this situation:

1. Add a data field, text, container, or shape object to a layout.

2. Give it an object name.

3. Go to Button Setup and select any option (Do Nothing, One step or Perform Script)

Notice the object name is gone from the inspector and trying to use the same name again results in an error.

Notice Go to Object will not actually work with that object name.

Notice the object still has the name showing in Database Design Report.

further weird stuff:

4. In this state simply give the object a different name. This stores in the inspector and functions properly with Go to Object scripts.

However the DDR still shows the original object name and it can never be used again by any other object. The second object name never shows in the DDR.

• 1. Re: Object name issue in FM14.
          user19752

I found something.

"Button Setup" is not "Button Setup...", it is immediately applied when select the menu (and object name disappear). You need to "undo" to cancel it.

Help saying "No action" as "You can also choose this option to disable a button", but it seems there is no way to disable a button other than "ungroup" the button.

You can see the object name with ungrouping the button.

"Go to object" is not working as you say, this should be a bug. (I like to say it's a bug)

• 2. Re: Object name issue in FM14.
            user14047

When button setting is done in a field, GroupButton is made.

Please imagine by which a different object can make sure that an object in a field will be wrapped.

"Ungroup" to release this.

Even if "No action" is chosen, the GroupButton attribute is left.

<Object type="GroupButton" name="b" >
              <GroupButtonObj>
              <Object type="Field" name="a">
              <FieldObj>
              </FieldObj>
              </Object>
              </GroupButtonObj>
            </Object>

• 3. Re: Object name issue in FM14.
              bigtom

Ungroup did the trick. Strange how this behaves differently from 13.