13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2015 12:52 PM by CarstenLevin

Where do I start and is this DB right?

FrontMed

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some feedback! ...I just put a DB together with relationships, does it look right? ...am I on the right track?

I also uploaded the project description

How would you guys go about a project like this? ...please be aware we do not have funding so i'm sorry we can't just hire one you

• 1. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
          FrontMed

If it's not clear I'm new in filemaker

Please do also give me som feedback on the project description, is it understandable?

• 3. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
            bigtom

I was able to get the graph open.

My quick observations:

Will the iPads always be with the laptop?

Confirm a Phone number is a good way to track your students. I assume everyone has a mobile line these days and it should not be an issue. 10 years ago it would have been easy to have a Mother and a Daughter both in the same house with only a land line.

Allow for some level of preregistration via web.

There are a few tables that may not be needed.

• 4. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
              bigtom

You may want to think of Students and Instructors as being in one table like People and have a field to specify they are a student or instructor. I would guess that you may offer instructor training and some instructors of a certain course may be a student of another.

Will a student ever have more than one Organization? If not, does it really need its own table?

• 5. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                FrontMed

Yes The iPads will allways be near The laptop The phone nummer shoulders work since we allready get that to Day

preregistration will not be needed, often we do get a list of expected participents But usally it someone Else who arrives with The ticket

• 6. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                  FrontMed

Not a bad idea, I just thouhght that in The long run i might be good to separate if I came up with other ideas, but youre Right I Think I will put Them in one table

• 7. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                    CarstenLevin

Here I am attaching the exact same solution, but now with separation: Ready to answer any questions.

• 8. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                      CarstenLevin

Hi again,

Had a look at your ERD (in my separated file:-)

First your original

You are using the same name for the same Table/TO in many diagrams. That is OK, but it will turn out to be problematic if you do not add some prefixes.

rd.png

One minor change

You could help sorting things out by putting a Table Occurrence Group name (a short one) before each TO in the group, like this.

Now they will sort together in groups.

rd2.png

One step further on the road to being conventional:-)

In this case I am not really following a specific set of conventions, just trying to show you how the naming of each TOG and each TO can make things easier. In this case the name is not only showing which group the TO belongs to, but also the placement within the group, thereby giving you information about the context and how to use it.

rd3.png

See how this will show up when you are choosing TO's for layouts, relations etc. etc:

rd4.png

rd5.png

By the way: There is a reason to painting the left TO green and the other in another color. I suggest that you use the Anchor Buoy model. Anker Bøje in our native Danish language [altså ankre med bøjer forbundet til dem].

Only one anchor per TOG.

And you are not allowed to let layouts use any other TO's than those that are anchors. If you need a layout based on a TO that is not an anchor: Create a new TOG with this TO as the anchor.

I and a lot of other people are ready to explain. I will put the file with this RD up here so you can start having a look. I did not change the TO's used by the layouts so the Anchor Buoy model is not used by the solution yet.

• 9. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                        CarstenLevin

And a note to the beginners as well as to those who have worked with solution building for years. Every time we do not do it the right way from the beginning we will end up regretting!

Do not start having a lot of fields i a table that should have been in a related table.

Do not start without separation (my idiosyncrasy, but I am right!, will argue and explain if asked).

Do not start without the Anchor Buoy model and a good naming convention for TO's and TOG's.

And ...

• 10. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                          FrontMed

This is Great Carsten!!!

Im just watching a webcast about Anchor buoy and will get back to you later when I know a bit more about this

BTW: I now understand why you like to name the conventions ...smart!

• 11. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                            CarstenLevin

And ... I like being unconventional, just not when it has to do with peoples mission critical data

• 12. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                              CarstenLevin

And FrontMed asked:

Do I need to make a connection between the two files. From the GUI file to the data file?

Yes, you do this the first time when you place a TO from the data file in the relational diagram of the GUI file.

As you can see, the GUI file has no tables!

notables.png

But tables will be added to the RD by linking to an external data source, in this case another FileMaker file.

notablesadd.png

• 13. Re: Where do I start and is this DB right?
                                CarstenLevin

And do not forget about the FTS (FileMaker Training Series) ... two very good and useful materials for FileMaker 14!