12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 11:06 AM by JoelShapiro

Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added

m.swanston

This is not happening in FileMaker Pro Advanced 14, only when viewing the application via WebDirect (happens in both IE and Chrome so I don't think it's browser related).

Part of the application I support is to create internal mailings, and these, when finalised email internal recipients. This process works perfectly, emails are sent as expected. But during final testing this morning, we spotted an issue whereby, once there were more than 50 records in the mailings table, the display pop-overs in the layout won't work, specifically for the first record and then only once for any other record. The pop-over is called from and edit button and contains half a dozen fields that relate to the mailing. As I said, with 50 records or less, no problems at all, but as soon as you've added the 51st record, it starts to play up.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there something obvious I'm missing about the database that I wasn't aware of - I know there isn't a general limitation to records, but even if there was, I have many tables with far more than 50 in, but none of them use a pop-over.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks

Martin

• 1. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
          mikebeargie

Is it a list view of the mailings table, or do you have popovers in portal rows showing the mailings table?

The former I have never encountered a problem with, but the latter I've avoided due to weird behavior in the past.

I try to avoid nesting objects in WebDirect as much as possible. It makes for both the best performance and compatibility.

• 2. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
            m.swanston

Hi Mike

Yes, it's a list view of the mailings table and the pop-over button is repeated for each row. We've decided to work-around it by having the ability to remove records when it gets to 50 (as this will take some years in reality) but I didn't want to just use a bandaid to fix something that could be resolved if possible.

The application was  mostly written by an external FileMaker developer, and I support it and fix minor issues where I can and the external guy comes back in from time to time to fix issues I'm not confident enough/too complex for me to do.

It's odd that this issue appears at 51 records, but the work-around will suffice for the short-medium term life of the tool - this is the only place we use pop-overs (upon request from the users) so t's not the end of the world, but as I said, I just wanted to look to see if there was anything I could change to resolve it so the 50 limit wouldn't need fixing.

Thanks for your response

Martin

• 3. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
              mikebeargie

Other workarounds would be to build in pagination, so you're only displaying found sets of 50 records at a time, or possibly just not using popovers.

I tend to only use list views for search/sort/navigation purposes, that way I can have merge fields in browse mode that are a lot lighter to load than full fields. I'll then have each row act as a button to navigate to that record on a form view.

Not sure what's possible given your circumstances, maybe TSPigeon can chime in with an answer from FMI as to if that's expected behavior or not for found sets of over 50 records.

• 4. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                TSPigeon

m.swanston:

Thank you for your post.

Mike Beargie:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I am unable to reproduce this behavior on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit with IE 11 or Chrome v45. To attempt to reproduce I followed these steps:

1. Created "test.fmp12" (in FileMaker Pro 14.0.2 (Advanced)

2. placed several fields on the layout

3. placed a Popover Button

4. placed a few fields and a button in the Popover Window

5. Layout Setup for list view only

6. Imported sample data of 1700 records

7. Uploaded to FileMaker Server 14 and setup for WebDirect

8. Launched in IE 11 via WebDirect

9. tested Popover Button from records 1-5 ; 850-855 ; and 1695-1700

10. repeated step 9 in Chrome

-The Popover works as expected in both tests.

Is this happening on all clients with both IE 11 and Chrome?

Have you been able to replicate in a new layout? Maybe a new file?

Recovering Files is a possible step to take when seeing strange behavior in a file.

Also, let me know if you have further information needed to reproduce.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 5. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                  m.swanston

Hi

So my first step was to recover the last backup made, but the issue still shows. I have made various changes this morning, but none of these are the cause (as it still happens with the restored version). I'm not advanced enough to know the reasons why this happening, all I do know for sure is that it is happening only for this layout (there are no others with pop-outs) and I have had another user test and confirm the 50 limit. I will need to go back to the external developer and ask for his help as whilst we can go live for the moment, having this limitation could be a bigger issue than I was led to believe.

Thanks for looking into this, I'll come back if i find out any further info.

Thanks

Martin

• 6. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                    m.swanston

And FYI yes, it is happening in both IE (10) and Chrome. We have had previous issues with poor performance of the tool in several areas using IE, but we recently went through and applied styling to all the layouts and this has made a huge difference to performance, although chrome is still the better browser in which to run the tool. I've defined a work-around, but need some advice on how best to program this - I will post a new question.

Thanks again

Martin

• 7. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                      TSPigeon

m.swanston

Thank you for your patience.

We have another report of this issue and may have information needed to reproduce. I will provide further feedback later today.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                        TSPigeon

m.swanston:

Thank you for your patience.

I was able to reproduce this behavior with a file hosted on FileMaker Server 14.0.3 on both Mac OS X and the Windows Operating System with IE 10/11, Chrome update 45, and Safari 7.1.8. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                          m.swanston

Thanks for letting me know. I was about to begin introducing a work-around, but will wait to see how this progresses before making any changes to the system.

FYI we are running FileMaker Server 14.02.226 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. We have experienced this in both IE10 and Chrome Update 45 browsers. I do not see this when running the application in FileMaker 14 Pro Advanced.

Regards

Martin

• 10. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                            JoelShapiro

Hi all

I'm late to this thread, having just run up against the issue.

FWIW: A workaround that works sufficiently for my situation is:

1. Move the Popover to the Header (or Top Navigation) part
                            2. Give the popover itself (not the button) an Object Name (Position tab in the Inspector), e.g. "selectedPopover"
                            3. In the Body, place a button (where the original popover button had been) and set it to Go to Object [ Object Name: "selectedPopover" ]

Clicking the button makes that record Active, so all content in the original Popover should display correctly from the context of the Header (so no need to use global fields to capture IDs, etc.)

(I also set the moved Popover to have 50% opacity and made it larger than it had been originally, so it covers more of the screen and becomes more like a floating/modal dialog)

Hope that's helpful to someone :-)

-Joel

• 11. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                              TSGal

m.swanston (et al):

This issue appears to have been addressed in FileMaker Server 14.0.4.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 12. Re: Display pop-over fails in WebDirect after 50 records added
                                JoelShapiro

I updated right away to check this fix, but the update disabled my Web Server.

I posted about it at:

Re: FileMaker Pro 14.0.4 and FileMaker Server 14.0.4 updates now available

Others might want to wait to see if my situation is common or not before updating…

-Joel