10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 8:42 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Text Box Extend issue

Suresh

Dear Friends,

In text box Why its extends while type the text? Is there any method to stop this .?

dasdasdasd.JPG

Thanks,

Suresh

• 1. Re: Text Box Extend issue
          Mike_Mitchell

This is normal behavior if the contents of the text field extend beyond the vertical space allocated. You can "fix" it by including a vertical scroll bar on the field. Select the "Include vertical scroll bar" option in the Inspector:

dialog.png

• 2. Re: Text Box Extend issue
            Extensitech

It might be worth noting that either there's a return character after the question mark, or the text used to be longer. Not sure if that's the underlying issue for you, but it has been for me before, so thought I'd chime in.

Some users seem to have a habit of entering return after everything they type. For fields that should only be one line (such as city and postal code, for instance) I have an auto-entry that strips off the white space characters (tabs, returns, spaces...) from the beginning and end, and also replaces pilcrows with spaces internally.

Again, not sure if this was your root issue, but just in case.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 3. Re: Text Box Extend issue
              carlosilvia0

Hi, sometimes I apply "return" or "enter" to "go to next object using". This avoids the newline. In particular situations, I use the numeric type instead of type text. If you try you will see that it is not possible to wrap under any circumstances. I hope it can help.

• 4. Re: Text Box Extend issue
                erolst

Thanks for not posting a video for clarification.

• 5. Re: Text Box Extend issue
                  carlosilvia0

Hi, any good advice is welcome and for this I give you thanks.

I just got an email from FileMaker Community:

Tips and tricks

Add images and video Do you want to enrich your content? Just add an image or a video editor by clicking on the camera icon for pictures or the panel director for the film. Images can be uploaded from your computer or by including other websites. The videos can be complemented by services like YouTube! and Vimeo.

• 6. Re: Text Box Extend issue
                    Suresh

@Dear Mike,

Thank you for the suggestion!!

But Actually what i required means, I need to stop that extending while type.

So can you suggest me to do, while type it should be normal text box without extends like this

- Suresh

• 7. Re: Text Box Extend issue
                      Suresh

Extensitech,

- Suresh

• 8. Re: Text Box Extend issue
                        Suresh

@carlosilvia0,

- Suresh

• 9. Re: Text Box Extend issue
                          Extensitech

In FM, a text box that extends, while there is more than will fit and you're editing it, is the "normal text box". I'm not aware of a way to have the field stay to small for its content while you're in it.

It may help to know why you need the box to stay a fixed size even when the text within it, which the user is trying to edit, can't be viewed in the available space.

Chris Cain

Extensitech

• 10. Re: Text Box Extend issue
                            Mike_Mitchell

As I've already explained, if you add a scroll bar, the vertical height will not change.

textField.png

If that doesn't work for your business case, then you'll need to answer Chris's question and tell us what your requirement is (i.e., why you need it to be restricted in height).