6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2015 1:03 PM by mcarey

Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14

mcarey

FileMaker Server 12 had the PHP Site Assistant.

QUESTION (1): Will the files created with the FileMaker 11 PHP Site Assistant tool work when moved to FileMaker Server 14?

Other versions of FileMaker Server had sample PHP files that came with the install to help users learn how to make simple PHP web sites with FileMaker. Browse, Search, Detail, Add Records, etc php pages.

QUESTION (2): Are there any such files made available for FileMaker Server 14?

It seems the support for PHP has progressively gotten less and less as new versions of FileMaker Pro Server are released. I know if you are a seasoned PHP developer that is not the case, as such a developer does not need any hand holding, but for the beginner it seems like there are no PHP lifeboats out there when using FileMaker Server 14.

QUESTION (3): Are there any resources/tools out there to help a FileMaker Developer start creating PHP files to work with their FileMaker 14 Server solutions?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14
          mikebeargie

https://fmhelp.filemaker.com/docs/14/en/fms14_cwp_guide.pdf

Always start with the filemaker documentation. Just google "filemaker 14 custom web publishing".

The 14 API files are in (mac):

DRIVE/Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/FM_API_for_PHP_Standalone.zip

Should be in a similar place for PC

And the local documentation:

DRIVE/Library/FileMaker Server/Documentation/PHP API Documentation/

Yes, files will work if moved from 12 to 14 assuming you've configured your FMS14 install correctly so CWP is working. You can copy any demo files you may need as well.

Testing is always advised when moving from one server version to another. My conversions have worked seamlessly from 12/13 -> 14 for the few CWP projects I moved.

A number of other useful resources:

FMEasyWeb: Easily Publish FileMaker Databases to the Web

Introduction to FileMaker Custom Web Publishing (CWP) with PHP | Blue Feather - FileMaker Developer, Android, Web

SimpleFM v3 - Soliant Consulting

PHP | Codecademy (for learning PHP)

• 2. Re: Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14
            mcarey

Looks like I was wrong about FileMaker 12 Server having PHP Site Assistant. It was FileMaker 11 that had PHP Site Assistant. I was hoping I could use PHP site assistant to develop a simple set of PHP pages that talked to my FileMaker 14 DB and then use those Site Assistant generated web pages as a starting point for my website.  I guess I only want to display a list of all records in a table (basically do a find that shows records with a certain date and type field). Then have a detail button on that list that takes the user to the detail of each record. I know this can be done with the PHP site assistant.  So I could take my FM14 database and create the same fields in a table of a FM11 database. Then run the PHP site assistant on my FM11 server and create the php web pages. Once created, move the PHP pages to the FM14 server (changing in DB name, etc that needs changing in the PHP headers). Does anyone know if that will work or will the PHP pages generated on FM11 Server not work on FileMaker Server 14 because of other issues (such as apI syntax differences, etc?  I could of course just try it, but thought I'd check with others who might have given that a try first to see if it worked for them.

• 3. Re: Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14
              mikebeargie

Try FMEasyWeb, does exactly what you just noted and is a free resource.

• 4. Re: Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14
                mcarey

I looked at FMEasyWeb and downloaded it. I also read the support blog. I was not able to find any detailed instructions on how to load it on my FileMaker 14 server running on Windows Server 2012. Thanks for your suggestions, Mike. But they all seem to take me to a level that still presumes a certain degree of knowledge I have yet to achieve. A few years ago I was able to get some PHP files generated and working on my filemaker 9-11 servers.  The same PHP files do not work on my new FM13 an 14 servers. The web pages were created with something called FMstudio which is no longer supported on 13 and 14. In fact, the company, FMWebschool is no longer in business. Strange that their website is still up, their phone lines still take messages for the principals:  Allyson Olm and Stephan Knight but I never get a call back....so I guess they are belly up. I guess I will look for a developer who has PHP files working on the same FM14 server on Windows Server 2012 that I have running the FIleMaker installed (on FM14server deployment) version of PHP.  I can then ask them if I can pay them for a few simple php starter files (browselist.php, detailrecord.php, findRecords.php, etc and sample DB that I can work with and pull apart to learn what I need to do.  Thanks again, Mike, for your help.

• 5. Re: Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14
                  mikebeargie

I've had to convert a project that was done on FMStudio before.

The code it writes is usually in pretty bad shape out of the box. It's a shame because the idea itself was good, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside as you noted given that their latest update was in 2013.

What might be better for you rather than demo files would be a mentoring developer that you hire to train you for a few hours in writing code that uses the PHP API. The resource I posted above (codecademy) can teach you the basics of writing PHP, so all you would have left to do is learn the filemaker specific classes and functions.

• 6. Re: Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14
                    mcarey

Excellent advice. Thanks!

To: Edward Carey <careysolutions@yahoo.com>

Sent: Monday, September 14, 2015 10:59 AM

Subject: Re:  - Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14

#yiv6851409214 * #yiv6851409214 a #yiv6851409214 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv6851409214 #yiv6851409214 h1, #yiv6851409214 h2, #yiv6851409214 h3, #yiv6851409214 h4, #yiv6851409214 h5, #yiv6851409214 h6, #yiv6851409214 p, #yiv6851409214 hr {}#yiv6851409214 .yiv6851409214content p #yiv6851409214 .yiv6851409214content li #yiv6851409214 .yiv6851409214button td {}#yiv6851409214 .yiv6851409214footer #yiv6851409214 .yiv6851409214footer a

|

|

Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14

reply from Mike Beargie in Discussions - View the full discussionI've had to convert a project that was done on FMStudio before. The code it writes is usually in pretty bad shape out of the box. It's a shame because the idea itself was good, but it seems to have fallen by the wayside as you noted given that their latest update was in 2013. What might be better for you rather than demo files would be a mentoring developer that you hire to train you for a few hours in writing code that uses the PHP API. The resource I posted above (codecademy) can teach you the basics of writing PHP, so all you would have left to do is learn the filemaker specific classes and functions.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following Where are the PHP Help Resources for FileMaker Server 14 in these streams: Inbox

|

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

|