4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 12:55 PM by tays01s

Calculating a record from >1 other record

tays01s

I have 2 tables: Calc > Eqs.

Eqs: Has several fields and records containing text equations.

Calc: Has the same fields and number of records.

A script populates Calc records by setting each field to Evaluate(Eqs::field).

However, in 2 cases, it would be much easier to calculate a particular record from values in a previous record. How would you do this?

• 1. Re: Calculating a record from >1 other record
          erolst

tays01s wrote:

I have 2 tables: Calc > Eqs.

Eqs: Has several fields and records containing text equations.

Calc: Has the same fields and number of records.

A script populates Calc records by setting each field to Evaluate(Eqs::field).

What's the point of doing this? Can you give an example?

tays01s wrote:

However, in 2 cases, it would be much easier to calculate a particular record from values in a previous record. How would you do this?

Which cases are these, and what does “previous” mean in that context?

• 2. Re: Calculating a record from >1 other record
            tays01s

Say Field1's record 5 required values from record 2 and 3, how would I refer to records 2 and 3? I realise I could simply use a combination of the calcs used to get records 2 and 3, but they are v. long strings, so I'd rather avoid this.

• 3. Re: Calculating a record from >1 other record
              erolst

That's not a particularly enlightening answer … therefore, I can only give you two generic answers:

Record 5 needs something from record 2 and 3 because …

1. … there is something that connects them, i.e. they have something in common (e.g. they are paragraphs in a chapter?). If that is so, encode that common thing into a field, use it for a self-join and use something to give these records a position.

Finally, sort the relationship by that position, and you can use GetNthRecord() to read a field value from a specific record, or GetValue() to parse a value out of a list of field values of all related records.

2. … these records are part of a process that brings them together in a found set; their position then is their record number, and you can use GetNthRecord().

• 4. Re: Calculating a record from >1 other record
                tays01s

On first trialling, this appears to do the job brilliantly; I'm now trying to apply it several more places in the solution.