m.swanston

Restrict Found Set to 50 Records with Multiple Sorting

Discussion created by m.swanston on Sep 11, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 by erolst

To get around an issue I'm having with a specific layout, I'd like some help with restricting the found set to 50 records, but with some sorting complexities thrown in. The issue appears when the a specific layout contains more than 50 records (only happens when 51 or more records shown), each record having a pop-over button associated with it for editing the selected record.

I have previously posted about it, but it seems to be both specific to this tool and only happens in WebDirect (both IE and Chrome), and FileMaker kindly tried to replicate but could not.

Anyway, the data seen in the layout is a mix of two text, one numerical, one date field and a popover button. Currently the data is displayed in a specific order (Finalised Date, Descending - applied by a script when the layout is accessed by a Button click) so that users see the latest finalised records at the top and any un-finalised records (ie without a Finalised Date) at the bottom. This works fine with < 51 records but once we get to 50, then it will need to be changed, so would rather start the thinking sooner than later.

What I'd like to get the layout to display is the latest 50 records BUT to include those that have not been finalised. I can't get my head around how to sort this data to include the un-finalised records and limit the found set to 50. In my head it was easy - sort by Finalised Date Ascending, restrict to 50 and then re-sort by Finalised Date Descending but of course this means it will display the older records at the top, not the newer ones.

I hope my ramblings make sense! Please ask if you need any clarification.

Thanks in advance

Martin

Outcomes