1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2017 11:47 AM by gcortesi

Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?

Doug Staubach

Hi community.

Things were fine with WebDirect on v13 for a long time, but then 100% of our databases started experiencing the same problem (fonts look normal when viewed with full FM client, but turned light grey when displayed on WebDirect, regardless of O/S or browser version).

We have tried changing font colors in the layout, saving as a new style, saving as a new theme, etc. -- nothing fixes the problem.

I have seen posts from other people who were experiencing the same thing (both here and on the FileMaker support site) -- the complaints seem to have started early this year, but no solutions have been offered - seems like the TS folks ask ridiculous questions and make lame suggestions until the end-user finally gives up and files a support ticket.

Has anyone found a solution, or at least made a positive identification of the root cause?

Thanks,

Doug

• 1. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
          mikebeargie

I have been unable to reproduce the problem on any FMS13 or 14 installations that I have.

Previously I had asked Oliver_Reid if he could see what class the grey text was being inherited from. That might point to the root cause, and also allow for me to offer a CSS patch that you could apply to your entire server using my CSS modification method I've blogged about before.

Can you use chrome's inspector to view what class the grey text is being inherited from and post that here? In all the screenshots I've seen, the grey text is not on every object, there are other objects that receive black text fine.

Also, a few other things to try would be clearing your browser cache completely, and also clearing the java cache (How do I clear the Java cache?).

• 2. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
            coherentkris

What it took for me to correct the issue was to reset the style for every object with the grey text phenomenon layout by layout.

Yes I know changes to style should apply across layouts but this has proved not to be the case.

• 3. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
              TSPigeon

DougStaubach

Thank you for your post.

Testing and Development is currently aware of this issue. I am forwarding this post for review. When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                Doug Staubach

@ Mike Beargie:

Thanks for the response - I tried to figure which CSS style(s) were involved, but with so many overlapping styles on the page, it is honestly difficult to figure out which one might be overruling the others.

I cleared the Java cache on the server, but it didn't help (good idea however!)

I hope your servers don't catch this bug the way mine did -- I wish I had stayed at v13.04 (things worked back then).

• 5. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                  Doug Staubach

@ coherentkris:

Thanks for your response!

I'm trying a technique similar to what you describe here - however, resetting the style seems to have no impact at all. The best solution so far seems to be "copying" the format of a field that is not impacted by this problem, and pasting it on top of the field (using the magic paintbrush tool). -- Unfortunately, this only seems to work for simple text fields (as soon as I enable something a scrolling bar, the "bug" reappears).

You are correct about the styles, by the way -- can't use them to fix all fields at once (format inheritance isn't working). - To fix the fonts, you have to manually edit the appearance tab of each field on each view -- very tedious and time consuming.

• 6. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                    Doug Staubach

@ TSPigeon

Thank you for the response - I'm really glad to hear that Testing and Development are aware of the issue (it sounded like they were in denial before, but I promise - whatever this is really exists!)

For what it is worth, we first noticed the problems about 5 weeks ago. At that time, we were running v13.05, and in an attempt to fix the problem, we have updated FileMaker to the latest (v13.10), updated Java from 7 to 8 (with latest updates), updated Windows Server 2012 R2 with all of the latest patches, etc. - None of the updates resolved the problem though. -- We also reinstalled FileMaker over itself and 'Redeployed' the server from the admin menu. - Again, no impact.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that someone at FileMaker is able to find and fix this problem.

Thank you!

Doug

• 7. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                      mikebeargie

I wonder if that Java update killed it. Filemaker installs it's own updates to Java anytime you update. Updating Java independently of filemaker has historically caused many headaches on the server edition. The web publishing engine does use Java, so it could be a possible culprit.

Chrome's inspector offers a handy CSS inspector that shows the "stack" of where each individual style was inherited from. If you can find the "color:" parameter and see where that was inherited from it might help. I'd imagine it's being inherited from one place, so look for similar inheritance across multiple items. If you have time of course.

• 8. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                        IanR

I have experienced the grey text problem.  It seemed to correlate with me using (possibly modifying) my database using FMProAdv 14.  The file was still being served by FMS 13.  I have just upgraded my Server to FMS 14.  My WebDirect text has returned to what it should be.

• 9. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                          Doug Staubach

@ ianr

Aha! - That makes sense to me.

We purchased licenses for FileMaker Server 14 upgrade, but we didn't want to perform the upgrade until we were confident that it wouldn't harm our production databases - however, we also purchased a copy of the client software, FileMaker Pro Advanced 14, and it is very possible that we used the v14 client to make changes to the v13 server. -- I am going to test that theory and will come back here and post my results.

Thank you!

• 10. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                            Doug Staubach

Hi Mike:

I agree with you that Java updates (which seem to occur much more often than we would like) could be the source of this sort of problem. I don't know if V13.04 to V13.05 included a Java update or not, but if it did, then we might have a lead to go on.

Unfortunately, the upgrade from Java 7 to Java 8 can't be the source, because we didn't perform that upgrade (which is included as part of v13.10) until after the grey font problem appeared.

I will see if I can decipher the CSS inspector, to determine which CSS file is taking precedent.

Thanks!

Doug

• 11. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                              Stephen Huston

At the DIGFM meeting this last week, it was confirmed that editing a layout with 14 can embed CSS which is in the 14 themes but which is not in the v13 themes, and some of those CSS results persist when the file is then opened by a 13 client, which simply reads the latest saved CSS. One of the most striking examples is the option to use Checkmarks on checkbox value lists which can be added in 14, and will then work when its run on a 13 client even though that option cannot be created with 13!

It sounds like you may have some CSS surprises in your file if any layouts were edited in 14.

• 12. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                                Doug Staubach

@ Stephen Huston

I can't verify until Monday, but this seems like the most likely scenario. I'd like to clarify that we didn't even utilize any of the 'new' features in the v14 client -- we were just doing trivial edits on a v13 database.

We need to CAUTION to folks out there who have FMS 13 databases -- at this point, it is dangerous to use the v14 client to edit layouts.

My only hope is that upgrading the server to v14 will actually fix the problem.

• 13. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                                  abdenterprises

We experienced the grey text after testing our applications on 14 Server/Client and then reverting to 13 after we confirmed IE9 and FF were not FM 14 compatible.

We resolved the issue by using 13 FMPA and going to every layout where the gray text appeared in WD (on 13), and forcing a "reset" of the style of that object by changing the text color to something close for that object and re-saving the style and then saving that to the theme.  For us, we had to do that for every object on every layout that had the issue, meaning theme changes did not propagate ;(

Hope this helps.

• 14. Re: Has anyone solved the WebDirect 13 "fonts turned grey" problem?
                                    Doug Staubach

abdenterprises

Thank you for your comments - it seems more and more probable that these issues are caused by using FM 14 Pro clients with FM 13 Servers.

Like you, I've found that one of the side-effects of this 'bug' is that style and theme changes are not applied to all objects (each object has to be edited individually, using a trail-and-error approach, until the grey font finally goes away).

I've also noticed that some objects are easier to "fix" than others (plain text boxes can be fixed by changing font face along with color, and then changing back again, but for some reason, scrolling text boxes are harder to fix - they nearly always revert back to grey).

Bottom line is that we are going to be forced to upgrade to v14 Server to make our databases readable by our customers -- we are in the middle of our busiest season, and this isn't something that we wanted to do right now, but it sounds like that is the only known solution at this time.

1 2 Previous Next