4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2015 11:03 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Possible To Set redentials For FileMaker Data Source?

ByteTheBullet

Greetings all!

I'm trying to find a way where I can set the credentials used to access an external FileMaker Data Source that would be different form the credentials a User used to log in to the "local" file. We have a number of FileMaker databases that act as repositories for various types of information around our workflows. I'm working on a file that needs to be able to use some of these files as a lookup source.

I've done this via ESS before, where a set of credentials can be added to the SQL source that's read-only, for example, and these credentials are included in the DSN that's set up for the datasource. I don't see a way to set up something similar for FileMaker's External Data Sources, though, and am wondering if anyone knows of a way. We don't want to have to add a bunch of privilege sets and/or accounts to the "repository" files. Ideally, we'd like just a read-only account there that can be used by a variety of other FileMaker files that may need to look things up.

Thanks in advance for any pointers anyone can provide!

• 1. Re: Possible To Set redentials For FileMaker Data Source?
          carlosilvia0

Hello, the host where the database is open FileMaker Server or FileMaker Pro? If it were FileMaker Server you get integrated with Windows AD (Actice Directory) or Apple OpenDirectory. This mode is configured on FileMaker Server by External Authentication Server. Can you provide more details?

• 2. Re: Possible To Set redentials For FileMaker Data Source?
            ByteTheBullet

All the files involved are on FileMaker Server 13, and already use AD for some users.

Here are some more details about the specific question.

Users log in to File A using their AD credentials. There are a few different privilege sets associated with different AD groups.

File B has data to be used as a lookup source in File A. As such, I'd like to set it up so that all access to File B from File A is done via a defined user, instead of each individual user's AD credentials.

Basically, if I set up a DSN, there's a way to embed access credentials within the DSN. I'm looking for a way to do the same with a FileMaker data source, and am hoping there's a way to do without going the ODBC/DSN route.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: Possible To Set redentials For FileMaker Data Source?
              wimdecorte

ByteTheBullet wrote:

File B has data to be used as a lookup source in File A. As such, I'd like to set it up so that all access to File B from File A is done via a defined user, instead of each individual user's AD credentials.

Since you'd only have to add the relevant AD groups to file B, that is a superior option.  You can even make just one AD group that all of the FM users belong to and add that to file B.   Much better than trying to hard-code on specific user account.

• 4. Re: Possible To Set redentials For FileMaker Data Source?
                Mike_Mitchell

One way to do this is to set a default login for file B. Simple, easy. So long as the credentials used to log into file A don't exist in file B, the auto-login should work fine.

Another way would be to use Open URL to open file B prior to opening file A, using the specified credential set. You'd probably need to use an intermediary file to do this to avoid the user being prompted, or to avoid the credentials from file A being passed to file B.

HTH

Mike