10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 15, 2015 1:07 PM by CICT

Error 812 with PSoS

CICT

We've hit our first problem with exceeding the hosts capacity using perform script on server using FMS14.0v2 and Windows 2012. There are no plug-ins installed on the server.

Until now we've left the number of simultaneous connections set to the standard 25. However, even using a simple test script generated the 812 error after using 'fmsadmin stop fmse' and 'fmsadmin start fmse' to restart the script engine. From what we've read so far, restarting the script engine in the command line has been the best advice to resolve this. We'd like to understand what could cause this error after restarting the script engine then immediately running a very simple test PSoS script.

Upping the simultaneous connections to 50 has provided a temporary fix and wondered whether anyone has proven methods to monitor what is going on? The log file provides virtually no information other than when the script engine is restarted and we have both our own and customer's solutions hosted, with between 25 and 30 schedules on this server. However, the vast majority of these are scheduled to run overnight. This server has run very reliably with the same databases and same schedules in both FMS v13 and v14, so we don't really know why this should suddenly happen.

Any input would be very welcome.

Regards

Andy

• 1. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
          wimdecorte

CICT wrote:

We'd like to understand what could cause this error after restarting the script engine then immediately running a very simple test PSoS script.

I don't think I'm getting a clear picture.  Are you saying that once your restart FMSE and run one simple PSoS script it consumes all available PSoS sessions?

If so, what is the test script?

What specs on that FMS box (processors, RAM, OS,...)?

• 2. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
            Markus Schneider

error 812 means 'host capacity exceeded'... could mean that PsoS eats another connection since PsoS creates a new session. If so, I would treat that as a bug... (-> issue report)

• 3. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
              CICT

Markus, we are trying to establish whether this could be a bug but want to test the water here first.

Wim, the test process is:

stop and start the script engine, then immediately run

CallTestPSoS script which is a single line 'Perform Script on Server ( TestPSoS )'

TestPSoS script consists of:

Loop

Set variable ( $var ; $var + 1 )

Exit Loop If ( $var > 1)

End Loop

We then immediately get the 812 error

Regards

Andy

• 4. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
                wimdecorte

And you're running that script from a client session, correct?

What are the specs on that server?

• 5. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
                  wimdecorte

Bug: could be but then only under very specific circumstances.  I'm not seeing it here for instance and there are no reports that I know off of this phenomenon and PSoS is used pretty heavily in lots of deployments.

• 6. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
                    CICT

Hi Wim

We're running CMD in Windows 2012 at enhanced level to start/stop the script engine, then a remote version of FMPA13 to run the script that in turn calls the PSoS script.

The server is a hosted VM and we've been running the same databases on this for about months. We've a number of these VMs in use.

We can't restart the server until late tonight to put the simultaneous connections back to 25 and see whether it settles down again. The main trouble is there is so little logging information available to work with.

Thanks for the help

Andy

• 7. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
                      wimdecorte

CICT wrote:

Hi Wim

The server is a hosted VM and we've been running the same databases on this for about months. We've a number of these VMs in use.

You're not really answering my question on the server specs.  I think it could be a factor.  How many of which resources are allocated to the VM instance?  Processors, RAM, exact OS version,...

• 8. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
                        CICT

Sorry Wim, working between hotspots and 3G at the moment. This particular server is Windows 2012 R2, 8Gb RAM, 4vCPU and 150Gb SSD disk. It is the master of a 2-server deployment, worker the same spec.

There are virtually no other PSoS running on it, mainly a few server scripts, but only run in hours not minutes.

What I can't understand is why the actual script and the test scripts fail immediately after restarting the script engine.

• 9. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
                          greglane

I’d suggest enabling access logging and then view the log to find out where the connections are coming from and if connections are running longer than you expect. Each PSoS session should log events 638 (opening a connection), 94 (opening database), 22 (closing database), and 98 (closing connection).

• 10. Re: Error 812 with PSoS
                            CICT

Hi Greg

We do run access logging and there doesn't appear to be any unusual logged events until we stopped and started the script engine.

However, the server was restarted last nigh, the simultaneous connections reset to 25 and we've had no reported problems today. Interesting that this appears to have resolved the problem, whereas the script engine restart didn't.

I see FMS 14.0v3 has been released today with fixes for the scripting engine, so perhaps there is a known issue. Haven't read the documentation yet, but I hope there are more fixes than the scripting engine described on the download page - the disappearing admin groups has been driving us nuts for ages and we did work with FMI to help replicate this a while ago.

Thanks everyone for your input

Andy