13 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2016 8:00 AM by TSGal

Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing

justinc

I have run into numerous occurrences where the focus (i.e. cursor position) in the Script workspace will spontaneously jump around.  It isn't a case where a script step itself is moving (I have seen reports of that, but this isn't that).

The most frequent case is that I will be typing a comment text...type type type type...boom!  The comment line is exited, and a new line is started, typically at the very end of the script, and my next few characters show up in this new line.  This happens at both my laptop and a desk with an external keyboard, so it isn't just a case of accidentally touching the laptop touch pad.

This is OS X 10.9.5; FMPA 14.02.

• 1. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
          TSGal

justinc:

Thank you for your post.

I have not encountered this issue, nor do I see any typing inconsistencies reported under Mac OS X.  I know that doesn't help you, so I will need some more information.

Have you noticed if this only occurs with a specific file?  Does this occur with a specific script?  How long has the FileMaker Pro session been active on that computer?  How long as the computer been active since it was rebooted?  What other applications are running?  Do you have any plug-ins installed and/or enabled?

The next time this occurs, let me know what characters appear at the end of the comment and at the beginning of the new line.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
            justinc

Sorry for the long delay in responding.  It had stopped happening for a while, and then just happened again yesterday.

I can't say that it is file specific or not; I will keep a closer eye on that going forward.

It is not script specific; it has happened in many different scripts.

FM Pro session:  could be a while; I tend to close files, but not FMPro.  Although there are times when I do close it completely for testing things, or forget that a certain application fully closes the app when you 'logout'.

Computer active:  I don't reboot often, usually only when OS X crashes or an update needs to be made.  But if you mean 'active since waking up', that is also not so certain as I haven't been tracking that.

Other applications:  Email client (Thunderbird); Numbers; Inspector Pro 5 (FileMaker runtime); web browser (Firefox).  Those are almost always running.  Others that usually are running:  Text Wrangler, Preview.

Plugins:  BaseElements (enabled); 2Empower Dev Assitant (disabled); 2Empower Family (disabled).

As for the characters that appear, it is whatever I was typing.  There might be one character in the middle that went missing, but haven't tracked that very exactingly.

• 3. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
              justinc

This problem continues to plague me.  I have noticed recently, though, that it is NOT just Comments that are susceptible to this problem:  I have had this happening while typing out a statement name as well.  That is:  "perform scr..." and it jumps to the top/bottom of the script and starts me on a new line.

One possible factor:  Is it because I am working on a hosted file with other developers?  Do their 'save-script' actions (or whatever) cause a 'refresh' of the Workspace on other developer's machines?  Similar to if one developer makes a change to a layout, that layout is refreshed on other machines (if it opened in a window).  I am not sure that I have noticed this in an offline file - I don't do much offline development.

I know that in earlier version of FM when editing hosted files, you had to be quick about changing the name of a script.  There was some timer that appeared to be running (a background handshake?) that would cause you to lose edits in the script name if you weren't fast enough and saved your changes.  I don't know if I have noticed this in 14, though. 

This is NOT file specific; I have had this happen in a number of different files.

To clarify the 'Characters showing' question:  if I were going to type "Sally went to the store" as a comment, I would start:  "SALLY WE"; then the hiccup would happen, it would go to a new line at the top or bottom (haven't figured out what causes it to go to which place) and start accepting the other typed characters:  "NT TO THE...".   It is possible that the 'N' might get dropped in the process.

• 4. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                justinc

There does seem to be some kind of refresh or redraw going on with the Script Workspace.  Even when I am not working on a script, but have the window open in the background, you can see it flash a bit and redraw things (e.g. the line numbers disappear and then are shown again).  So there does appear to be some timed/triggered refresh event going on.  This is again using a hosted file - I haven't checked an offline file.

• 5. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                  TSGal

justinc:

Is it possible one of the other clients/developers is accessing the Script Workspace at the same time as you?  This would cause the screen refresh?  You may want to consider adding access privileges to the other clients so they do not have access to the Script Workspace.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                    justinc

It's extremely like that they are also opening the Script Workspace.  Not the same script, though (FM throws warnings for that).  But, this is a development file with 4 people working on it; not really possible to exclude Script Workspace for them.  They need to be there as much as I do. 

So, do you know if multiple people accessing it would cause this behavior, though?  I haven't tried to coordinate with another dev to test this myself.

• 7. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                      TSGal

justinc:

If others are also using the Script Workspace, then if changes are made by one user, those changes have to be updated across all other users.

Having tried this, I also get the same results as you.  That is, if I'm typing a comment and another user saves a script, your comment is stopped and made inactive as the Script Workspace is updated.

I have sent your relevant posts along with my findings to our Development and Testing departments for review.  When I receive any feedback, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                        Benjamin Fehr

Is this a solid conclusion that this issue will only occur with hosted solution when more than 1 user is working in the Script Workspace at the same time?

Did this issue ever occur with only 1 user working in Script Workspace at once?

• 9. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                          TSGal

efficientbizz:

This issue does not occur with only one user working in the Script Workspace.  This will only occur when two or more people are accessing the Script Workspace simultaneously, and one user saves a script which will propagate that saving to others that have the Script Workspace open.  I have tried to replicate this with several other script steps, but for now, it appears only the Comment script step is affected.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                            Benjamin Fehr

thanks. I'm glad to hear.

• 11. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                              justinc

I can't myself verify if it only happens with multiple people; I don't know when others are using Script Workspace and saving scripts - and haven't taken the time to coordinate with the other devs.

I CAN say that I have seen this in steps other than Comment - I think it was typing into an IF statement right in the workspace itself, not in a pop-up.  This problem doesn't happen if you have the pop-up calculation entry window open.

• 12. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                                TSGal

justinc:

I am unable to replicate the issue using the IF statement.  I can type, have another user save a script, and I remain active within the IF statement.

Update: Testing has informed me that this is a known issue with Comment edit box, and Development is aware of it.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 13. Re: Script Workspace:  focus jumps while typing
                                  TSGal

justinc:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker Pro 15.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.