1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 9:04 AM by FileKraft

FMS 14.0v3

taylorsharpe

I see the FileMaker Server 14 v3 is now out.  It supposedly fixes an issue with FMSE causing the server to stop.  I've never seen this problem.  I'm a little surprised there was only one reported item fixed for this release.  But that is all the release notes says.  Guess I have some servers to upgrade. 

• 1. Re: FMS 14.0v3
          dburnham

Well I can report that I have seen it stop, not have any idea why, and rebooted the server as the quickest fix.   Thanks for the news.  See you tonight.

• 2. Re: FMS 14.0v3
            Vincent_L

Well I can assure you that this problem was very real, since May 2014 when I upgraded to FMS 13, my Server FMSE crashed at the very least one a week, more often 2 times, and in some case 3 times. it was a nightmare

As far as I know, FMS 13 still has that issue

• 3. Re: FMS 14.0v3
              CarlSchwarz

I have a solution that pauses a couple of times a day for all clients at once, even clients doing nothing.  The solution is 10+ years old and has had no problem until upgrading to FMS13 when FMSE was introduced...

I soooo can't wait until tonight when I can upgrade the server, hopefully this fixes it!

All clients will pause for approx. 30 seconds or more a few times a day, and I farm operations off to the server to the FMSE so that could be why.

I have been pulling out my hair looking for some sort of networking issue or internal solution problem though nothing in Filemaker should make all clients stop at once apart from a heavy recalculation caused by data change I guess.

I'm in the heights of anticipation for this one.

Note that FMSE doesn't crash in this solution, the server merely pauses which frustrates all the clients.  I'm hoping that this fix is for the pauses and not FMSE crash since the update doesn't mention crashing.

• 4. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                Markus Schneider

although I did not have that issue on my systems (but under FMS13 some clients have it) - but the update went smooth.

I would really really like to havea detailed change log - there are customer who refuse to install updates/new versions because they don't know if a particular issue is solved...

• 5. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                  Vincent_L

All clients will pause for approx. 30 seconds or more a few times a day, and I farm operations off to the server to the FMSE so that could be why.

The fix (if it's the only one, but it seems so), is not for that scenario. It fixes Filemaker server crashes.

your scenario looks like a backup process with slow drives, or integrity check.

• 6. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                    BruceRobertson

Is anybody getting correct results for get( hostapplicationVersion)?

I have installed 14.0v3 and the admin page shows that is in fact what is running.

But in files hosted by this server, when I display {{HostApplicationVersion}} the result is Server 14.0.2

• 7. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                      jormond

Same here Bruce. I believe {{HostApplicationVersion}} returns the database version and not the actual FMS version. If I remember correctly. Though I may be thinking of a similarly named result...

• 8. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                        BruceRobertson

No, getting the server version gets the server version. Not the file version.

It's a very old problem, repeated yet again.

Do a search for hostApplicationVersion in the forum search field.

Example results:

FMS13v4 update and Get ( HostApplicationVersion )

After FMS 13.0v4 update Get( HostApplicationVersion ) = 13.0v2 !?

• 9. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                          jormond

Correct. That's what I was trying to reference. The database version of FMS.

• 10. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                            CarlSchwarz

Well now the server boots the clients approximately once every two minutes.  This is definitely a related problem.  There have been no other changes to the server!  Time to downgrade.

• 11. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                              CarlSchwarz

Vincent_L wrote:

The fix (if it's the only one, but it seems so), is not for that scenario. It fixes Filemaker server crashes.

Why do you say that?  Is there another changelog or announcement somewhere?

The update page says this:

This software addresses an issue where the FileMaker Script Engine (FMSE) caused the Database Server to stop responding (not FMSE crash! or database server crash!)

• 12. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                                CarlSchwarz

Vincent_L wrote:

It's not that.  Just for reference the details are here: Erratic server performance

• 13. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                                  BruceRobertson

JO, I am trying to understand what you say is "correct." Seems like a kind of yes we have no bananas answer.

There is an ongoing problem of FileMaker Server not correctly reporting its version number, and a number of people describe the problems this creates. Can you describe what is "correct" about FileMaker Server 14.0v3 reporting to us that it is 14.0v2?

• 14. Re: FMS 14.0v3
                                    jormond

"Correct" = yes we are talking about the same thing. I am seeing the same problem you are. Sorry Bruce, for the lack of clarity.

When I asked about this same problem with previous versions, I was told by technical support ( FMI ) that {{HostApplicationVersion}} returns the Server's Database engine version ( not the , which does not always get upgraded in a patch. The feeling I got from FM is that they don't view this as a problem, but expected behavior. I don't agree with that sentiment.

1 2 3 Previous Next