4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 30, 2015 9:37 PM by mcarey

FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly

mcarey

I have created a solution in FM14 running on FMserver14. All my webDirect pages have been built from scratch using the river touch theme. I have made some changes to the styles and theme trying to optimize my pages.  Since the beginning I have had some odd behavior in how the pages draw. When I first land on the screen the screen flashes and shows text  left justified and in a different font size. Then the screen seems to draw itself and it draws correctly including  centered text, any objects and colors. Its as if the text shows up and then the styles, formatting and objects get drawn. It looks very unprofessional and somewhat disconcerting to my users.  Does anyone know what is going on or how I can avoid the flashing and ugly text. After a page has been drawn navigating throughout the site is usually calmed down.

I am happy to show the site to anyone who is interested in seeing the behavior. I would need to set up an account for you and send you the URL. Let me know if you have any ideas.

-Mac

• 1. Re: FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly
          Doug Staubach

mcarey:

Mine does this for fields that have conditional formatting enabled. Do any of your fields use conditional formatting?

• 2. Re: FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly
            mcarey

Some do. But I have screens that have one large text field covering the body of the layout (with no conditional formatting) and it does the same thing.

• 3. Re: FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly
              Doug Staubach

Not sure what is causing your problem, but you might consider the following as a quick fix:

First, create a script that contains the "windows freeze" command, followed by the the "pause/resume script" command (set the pause duration for one second, and if that doesn't work, try different values).

Attach this script to the "on layout enter" event for the WebDirect layout that is having issues.*

*(The easiest way to create this trigger is to choose "file - manage - layouts" from the Filemaker menu, choose the name of your WebDirect layout, and then click the "edit" button at the bottom of the screen. A new pop-up window will appear (layout setup), and you should click the the button for "script triggers". Scroll down to "OnLayoutEnter", click the box to enable this event, and a new pop-up window will appear with all of the scripts that you have created. Choose the script that you created earlier, then click OK until you are back at the main screen.)

• 4. Re: FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly
                mcarey

I will try your workaround.....I was trying to avoid the problem by creating a button that was at the forefront (Brig to front) that covered the area and then placed conditional formatting on the button to be transparent if 1=1, because I heard that conditional formatting occurs after styles are downloaded......So, I thought the text that was unformatted and left justified would be covered by the button and then after the styles were downloaded  correcting the left justified unformatted text the conditional formatting would kick in and turn the button covering the area to transparent and thus showing the correctly formatted text and objects. But that seemed to give me mixed results.

I have duplicated the problem using the asset starter solution in FM14. So I don't believe it is my solution. I made a sample file using that starter solution, put it on my fm14 server and the same problem occurred when trying to access one of the Starter Solution Asset web layouts (made specifically for web direct). It seems to occur the first time the layout is accessed and only when the solution is accessed over the Internet (so the network connection is part of the problem where it is taking the page a few more seconds to render).  Since it only happens the first time the layout is hit, I assume it has to do with the text showing up before formatting (styles) are downloaded.

-Mac

To: Edward Carey <careysolutions@yahoo.com>

Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 3:04 PM

Subject: Re:  - FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly

#yiv4348436091 * #yiv4348436091 a #yiv4348436091 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv4348436091 #yiv4348436091 h1, #yiv4348436091 h2, #yiv4348436091 h3, #yiv4348436091 h4, #yiv4348436091 h5, #yiv4348436091 h6, #yiv4348436091 p, #yiv4348436091 hr {}#yiv4348436091 .yiv4348436091content p #yiv4348436091 .yiv4348436091content li #yiv4348436091 .yiv4348436091button td {}#yiv4348436091 .yiv4348436091footer #yiv4348436091 .yiv4348436091footer a

|

|

FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly

reply from DougStaubach in Discussions - View the full discussionNot sure what is causing your problem, but you might consider the following as a quick fix: First, create a script that contains the "windows freeze" command, followed by the the "pause/resume script" command (set the pause duration for one second, and if that doesn't work, try different values). Attach this script to the "on layout enter" event for the WebDirect layout that is having issues.* *(The easiest way to create this trigger is to choose "file - manage - layouts" from the Filemaker menu, choose the name of your WebDirect layout, and then click the "edit" button at the bottom of the screen. A new pop-up window will appear (layout setup), and you should click the the button for "script triggers". Scroll down to "OnLayoutEnter", click the box to enable, and the use the button to choose the script that you created earlier.)

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community

Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community

Following FM14 in webdirect my text field renders incorrectly then flashes and renders correctly in these streams: Inbox

|

Manage your email preferences

FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

|