14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 3:18 PM by tcmeyers

Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries

tcmeyers

When a layout originally designed for desktop (FMP, Mac) use is used in FileMaker Go 14.0.2 to input typed data, the text stored in the field is more than just the typed data, it has been given a font assignment different than the default for the field. This did NOT happen in FMGo 13.

I think this probably occurs when the font the field was designed with is not one of the fonts of iOS. I have observed it in a field laid out as Geneva... and the text entered via the iPad or iPhone (FMGo 14 only) is then displayed on the desktop (FMPA 14) as Helvetica. Similarly, a field defined in Layout as Courier ends up with text given the Monaco font. This makes for very inconsistent-looking displays.

FMGo 13 didn't have this problem, and things displayed in Go and Pro looked fine, edits did not change fonts.

In FMGo 14, text that is supposed to look like Courier does, though... when it is entered using FMPro on the desktop. So I'm not sure why a field laid out to be Courier would have to become Monaco-refonted just because it was entered in FMGo instead. Maybe my guess about incompatible fonts is not correct, since display in FMGo 14 seems fine.

To test this, I edited text entered originally in FMPro (as the field-defined Geneva) and view it in FMGo 14 on the iPhone then added a little more text in the same record, same field, via FMGo 14 on the iPhone. The display of the text did not change at all on the iPhone, but on committing the record on the iPhone ALL of the text in the field as viewed on the desktop became Helvetica.

As a further experiment, I colored the font of just one of the words red on the desktop machine, and on commit that word indeed did turn red on the iPhone, so it's clear that mixing that kind of style change is FMGo 14- compatible. Then using the desktop again I changed the font of one of the words (all of which are still Helvetica from being altered by FMGo earlier) to Courier, and this displayed fine on the iPhone. Then, on the iPhone I added one more word again. The earlier word I had set to Courier now is displayed as Monaco on in FMPro on the desktop.

It seems like FMGo 14 (or iOS) handles the display of Geneva and Courier just fine, but inappropriately changes text, even text that wasn't entered via FMGo to Helvetica and Monaco, if the field is edited at all. Which look terrible all of a sudden for the FMPro layouts because the fonts don't match other fields in the layout.

Screenshots or test files can be made available.

• 1. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
          tcmeyers

Further information:

The problem persists under iOS 9.0

It appears that perhaps only "legacy" fields are affected, in newly-added fields on an old layout, or entirely new files (trying to make a demo) don't seem to misbehave. Also, adding a new instance of a same problematic field on an old layout sometimes seems to prevent the problem from happening in the original instance. If so, the problem returns, though, when the newer field is deleted from the layout.

It seems likely a "fix" would be to redo the formatting on all old fields, but I'm afraid the fact that it's happening is exposing an underlying problem.

• 2. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
            tcmeyers

Here is a little screen shot of an example. This is in a portal, and the data the Location column, in the normal Geneva font were entered either via FMGo 13 or FMP. That data is "Q5" and "M3". The other data in the smaller-appearing font (Helvetica) in the Location column were entered using FMGo 14. These values are several "L4" and "L6" and an "O4".

• 3. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
              TSGal

tcmeyers:

Thank you for your post.

I am unable to replicate the issue under FileMaker Go 14.0.2 and iOS 9.0.  This is what I did:

1. Using FileMaker Pro 14.0.2, I created a database file with a Text field named "TEXT".

2. I formatted "TEXT" for Geneva 12 point.

3. In Browse mode, I added a record, entered "FileMaker Pro 14.0.2".

4. I copied the file to my iPad in the FileMaker Go 13.0v9 work area.

5. I opened the file in FileMaker Go 13.0v9, added a record, and entered "FileMaker Go 13.0v9".

6. I closed the file, copied it back to my Desktop, and copied it back onto my iPad into the FileMaker Go 14.0.2 work area.

7. I opened the file in FileMaker Go 14.0.2, added a record, and entered "FileMaker Go 14.0.2".

8. I closed the file, copied it back to my Desktop, and opened the file in FileMaker Pro 14.0.2.

All records display as Geneva 12 point.

Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                tcmeyers

TSGal,

It may be that you are using a brand new test file, I suspect it may be an issue with older files only, I wasn't able to make a "fresh" one that exhibited it. Also, but perhaps less likely, my files are being hosted with FMS 14, so multiple users are looking at the same record.

This morning I supplied TSPigeon with a cloned, nearly empty copy of my legacy file. I'll see if I can reproduce it (both just on one device and hosted) with that, and if so I'll give you the steps needed.

I'll report back. Just checking, did you see the screen shot?

Troy

• 5. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                  TSGal

tcmeyers:

Thank you for the additional information.

Yes, I saw the screen shot with the different font.  However, I was unable to replicate the issue, so that is why I asked what I was doing differently than you.  Please let me know if you have reproducible steps.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                    tcmeyers

QUIT FileMaker Pro 14 (Mac) so that launching my file will proceed just as I describe.

Get the "Conservatory Clone" file that was sent to TSPigeon.

Launch FileMaker Pro Advanced 14. Use the menus File>Sharing>Upload to FileMaker Server...

Select the FileMaker Server host (I'm using 14.0.2, haven't updated to 14.0.3) and click Next.

Punch the Browse... button and select or drag the Conservatory Clone.fmp12 file into the Open box, and hit Open.

It should show in the files to be uploaded box. Click "Upload". In the next panel, next to "File was uploaded successfully" check the "Open with FileMaker Pro" box. Click "Done"

When it launches, three windows will open. Two were for TSPigeon, go ahead and close "Purchase Order 6521" and "Email Getter" windows.

In the Conservatory Home window, click on the "Nuts & Bolts" tab, and then the "Flasks" button (3rd down, left column of buttons). The table has no records, so create one by using the menu bar, menu "Records", item "New Record".

This should create a "flask" record with the number 56527JW. There is a portal with 3 rows and a caption above it about centered, "New Location". Click in that field in the portal and type "A5" and hit Enter. You'll get two warnings about fields that ought to be filled out. (If there were other needed records in the database and the window was approached in the normal manner, this wouldn't happen, but it doesn't matter for this test.) Answer them as "OK" and "Allow".  Note that the line in the portal gets a date over in the left column near the "Notes" label.

Leave that window open so you can continue to see it on the Mac computer.

Now open the hosted file with FileMaker Go 14 on the iPad... launch it, and go to the Hosts panel, and select Conservatory Clone. Again close the EmailGetter and Purchase Order 6521 windows. Go to the Nuts and Bolts tab, and tap the "Flasks" button.

You should now see the same window and record that is showing on the Mac. You might have to pinch-zoom in a bit if you don't have delicate fingers, but tap in the 2nd portal row right beneath the "A5" that you entered before in the 1st row. On the iPad type "A5" also. Then tap away from any field or button on the layout to "commit" the record. You'll again get two warnings about things not being filled out, just do them anyway.

On the iPad the two rows in the portal should look the same. Actually, on commit, the 2nd row moves up to the first because of sorting. Tap in the 3rd row on the iPad under an A5. Type "B3" and commit again. Again you'll have to say "OK" and "Allow".

Look at the three portal rows on the iPad. The "B3" and "A5"s look OK display-wise.

If you haven't already, look at the record on the Mac. You'll see the 3 portal rows. The first two have smaller, scrunched-to-the-top entries of "B3" and "A5" while the 3rd, (which is the one you created on the Mac, and looks normal) has a correct-looking "A5".

Attached screen shot shows what I see after doing all this.

Does this reproduce the problem for you?

Troy

• 7. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                      tcmeyers

TSGal,

If you prefer, I could DropBox a fresh copy of Conservatory Clone to you, with things all set up, ready to go... just say so,

Troy

• 8. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                        TSGal

tcmeyers:

A fresh copy of your solution would be better.  I have sent you a private message with instructions.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                          tcmeyers

TSGal,

I've sent you the DropBox link and fresh instructions.

Troy

• 10. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                            TSGal

tcmeyers:

I received your file and instructions.  Thank you.

Based on the information prior to receiving your file, our Testing department had enough information to replicate the issue, and all information was sent to Development for review.  I have also attached your file and instructions to the report so that Development will have a better understanding how our customers are using FileMaker.

I will keep you updated as more information becomes available.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                              tcmeyers

Thank you, TSGal!

Troy

• 12. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                                tcmeyers

TSGal,

I just wanted to report that we are still seeing this problem with FMGo 14.0.4

Troy

• 13. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                                  TSGal

tcmeyers:

I can verify that this issue was not addressed in FileMaker Pro 14.0.4.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 14. Re: Font changed from default for field with FMGo entries
                                    tcmeyers

Thanks for confirming, TSGal!

Troy