AnsweredAssumed Answered

Question about filtering using self-referencing table

Question asked by StevieP on Sep 17, 2015
Latest reply on Sep 17, 2015 by dtcgnet

I thought this would be easy to do but Filemaker makes it a lot harder than it needs to be.

The situation is as follows:

I have a table of work orders. During production we combine several work orders into one - one work order then becomes the "head work order" which contains all the job info. The other work orders have a field called "headworkorder" which contains the number of the main work order. Using a self-referencing table, this works great.

Now, what I want, is to make it so I *only* see the head work orders when I push a certain button. Basically, if the orderID and the headorder are the same, then the work order = headorder.

I thought a simple "Perform Quick Find" would be possible but it's not. I tried the follow Quick Find:

orders::headorder = orders::orderID

But Filemaker does not like this for some reason since the button doesn't work - I assume it's because orders::orderID is a variable that changes per record.

I tried a Find Request which didn't work either. Anyone have a simple solution to this? It's odd how something so simple seems to be so hard to solve (at least for me). Right now I have to use a field that gets "ticked" when it's a head order and then I filter by that field but that's a sloppy way to do it.

Outcomes