14 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2017 6:49 AM by TSGal

FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit

kmtenor

We have a simple digital signage solution which uses container fields to deliver content via FileMaker Server to client PCs on the network.  A local FileMaker file contains a script which gets the playlist from the server, and then uses a local layout to display the slides requested by the playlist from the server.  This solution runs on Windows PCs, and is administered by users via Windows, as well.

Containers containing wmf files appear to be converted by the player application into PNG files, and stored in the windows user's "AppData/Local/Temp" directory as "FMTEMPFM####_#" files.  Unlike other files placed in temporary storage, these converted .png files appear to not be deleted automatically by FileMaker on a clean client exit.  Because they are downloaded and converted every time the container is called, the directory fills up over time, and eventually causes the C: drive on the PC running the player application to fill up and stop the application from functioning.

This problem does not appear to happen with PNG or JPEG files placed in the containers.  We have not tested with PDF files.

This solution is running on Windows PCs.  We have seen this issue on every version of FileMaker since 12.  We are running Professional as the client in all cases, because we own a site license.

Please let me know if you need additional information.  This solution does not contain proprietary information, so I would be happy to include copies of both the server and client files.

Thanks.

-Kevin

• 1. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
          TSGal

kmtenor:

Thank you for your post.

Just to verify, are all clients running FileMaker Pro 14.0.2?  Is the server running FileMaker Server 14.0.3?  What operating systems are the clients running?  All Windows 7?  Windows 8? Windows 10?  Mixture?  What operating system is the server running?  Windows Server 2008 R2?  Windows Server 2012?  I want to make sure we can test with a similar environment.

Yes, we would like to get a copy of the solution and the steps to reproduce the issue.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
            kmtenor

Hi, TSGal.

The latest version of the client that was tested was 14.0.2.  We have seen this since version 12.

Likewise, the server is currently running 14.0.2 on Windows 2008 R2.  We saw this issue when the server was running version 13, as well.

I'm working on getting the files together to send you, and will contact you via that email if we encounter difficulties.

Thanks.

-Kevin

• 3. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
              TSGal

kmtenor:

Development has let me know that the operating system cleans up the temporary files when it wants to.  There is no documentation that states the temporary files are deleted on exit.  Also, if the wmf file generates a png file with a unique name each time, then there is nothing FileMaker can do about the new png file being created.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                kmtenor

Thank you for your response.

The documentation for Get(TemporaryPath) (Get(TemporaryPath) function in FileMaker Pro | FileMaker) states:

In FileMaker Pro, the temporary folder and any files placed in it are deleted when FileMaker Pro is terminated.

Since the files created by a script using the Get(TemporaryPath) function appear to reside in the same directory as the PNG files being created by Pro itself, I expected that they were supposed to be getting cleaned out alongside any others that were generated.  Additionally, since the files all share the same prefix (FMTEMPFM), I further expected that the application that created them would be able to clean them out.

Barring the application itself cleaning these files out, I will proceed with establishing a batch file (we see this primarily on Windows) that will run periodically and do the job instead.  I have never seen any evidence that the OS is cleaning these files up - they even persist through a reboot.

Hopefully you can see how I reached the conclusion that these files were erroneously being left behind by FM.  Should I add the cleanup of these files to the feature requests list? 

Thanks again.

-Kevin

• 5. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                  TSGal

kmtenor:

Get (TemporaryPath) is not relevant in this case, as the FMTEMPFM* files are created in the ContainerCache folder.  Those FMTEMPFM* files are not container contents cache, but are actual icons representing a given file type when rendered in a Container field formatted for Interactive content when inserted as files.  Add a .jpg extension to the end of one of the FMTEMPFM* files to view it and each of these files should be small.  How many FMTEMPFM* temp files are there?  What are the sizes?  Can you confirm there are enough to fill a disk?

With that said, Development and Testing would like to see a copy/clone of your solution for testing purposes.  I have sent you a private message with instructions where to send the file.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 6. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                    TSGal

kmtenor:

I am having difficulty sending you a private message, so I have sent the instructions to our Technical Support contact.  You should receive the instructions soon.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                      TSGal

kmtenor:

My apologies.  I did not see your email prior to having my email sent to you (I contacted our Technical Support liaison, but he mentioned the email already went out), and now I see the second instance.

The files have been downloaded and sent to Development and Testing for review.  When I have more information, I will let you know.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 8. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                        kmtenor

Thank you for letting me know.

If I can assist in any way, please let me know.

-Kevin

• 9. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                          TSGal

kmtenor:

Disregard the private message I just sent.  I have found my answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 10. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                            TSGal

kmtenor:

Testing has confirmed the issue.  The notes from Testing show the files are not deleted, but in one instance, they were removed upon relaunching.  Also, this issue only occurs under Windows; not Mac OS X.

All information has been sent to Development for further review.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                              kmtenor

Thank you for the update.

I’ve never experienced the removal on re-launch, but I’m glad to know the issue in general was repeatable in your environment.

-Kevin

• 12. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                                jerrysalem

I have the same (or similar) issue.

FMS 14.0.4.412 on Windows Server.

Users are mix of FMP 13 and 14 (and 15).

C/Window/Temp directory has 10's of thousands of FMPTEMPFMxxx.tmp files

Plus thousands of subdirectories containing PDF's

Is this issue addressed/fixed in FMS 15?

TIA

Jerry

• 13. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                                  FileKraft

same issue with 13 14 15 with PDFs and stand-alone copy which connects to FMS 14v4 to sync down PDFs

• 14. Re: FMTEMPFM* files not all cleaned up on exit
                                    TSGal

kmtenor:

This issue has been addressed in FileMaker 16.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

2 of 2 people found this helpful