AnsweredAssumed Answered

Large white areas in Layouts on windows HDPI (High DPI/ Resolution) machine

Question asked by vavo on Sep 18, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 19, 2016 by AlPhuket

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a brand new Dell Laptop with Win 8.1, FMP 14 v2 and a HDPI display, i. e. 3840 x 2160 pixels.

What I am getting unfortunately is random large white areas n almost every layout. Sometimes just the top quarter of a layouts showing, sometimes white blocks all over the place. Moving the mouse cursor over those areas sometimes "reminds" the machine to display it, but not always.

Happens both with local and hosted files and same behavior in FMP13 on that machine.

After several attempts calling FM inc. support one person pointed to this article:

Custom DPI settings in Microsoft Windows can affect UI elements of FileMaker Pro | FileMaker

which seems to stop short of a resolution for win 7, 8 and 10. I tried digging around (and I have to mention that I am more at home on macs than on windows) to find the corresponding setting.

What I ended up trying is

Right click FM shortcut on the desktop

Open Properties, go to Compatibility

Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings"

no luck. Same when doing applying that setting to the actual .exe file.

Simply reducing the resolution does not fix it either.

The only temporary fix I found is connecting the laptop to an external (lower res) monitor, move FMP to that display. Even when disconnecting the external screen everything keeps working (without that "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" checked).

On restarting everything wen back to messy.

I saw that some people have issues with small fonts etc. which quite frankly I would be very happy with at this point... Any ideas, links hints are welcome!

Thanks!

Outcomes