1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 5:34 AM by Johan Hedman

Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host

dburnham

I have previously reported the fact that the new Launch center has a button for adding a favorite host but no button to delete (remove) a favorite host as we have always been able to do in the past.  I have also been told by TSGal that this is the expected behavior of the Launch Center.   I disagree, and gave my reasons why.  I was also at that time reporting that LAN IP's which are created as favorite hosts should NOT automatically disappear when FileMaker is unable to connect to a LAN IP because developers who travel with laptops are thereby burdened whenever they pay a repeat visit to a client, being unable to access the database before adding back a favorite host that vanished on its own.

Well, today I discovered that if you use Manage External Data Sources and use the Add button, followed by the Remote button, you are presented with the Open Remote dialog that we used prior to FileMaker 14.  As my screen shots indicate, the REMOVE button that allows the removal of an obsolete favorite host still exists.

I respectfully request that for the sake of consistency, the REMOVE capability be added to the Launch Center for the obvious reason that managing favorite hosts occasionally requires the removal of a host address that is no longer needed in the routine course of business.   All we need is a simple minus button to the right of the plus button.

• 1. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
          TSGal

dburnham:

Thank you for your post.

For others reading this post, you can delete a Favorite host by clicking the star-disk icon to the right of the host name.  This is the current behavior in FileMaker Pro 14.0.2.

There is obviously an inconsistency between Open Remote and Manage External Data Sources -> Add File... -> Remote...

I have forwarded your post along with the suggestion to our Development and Testing departments for review.  I would also recommend entering this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form located at:    Company | FileMaker

The entries into this web form are read by Product Management and Development who then discuss and consider these suggestions for possible implementation in a future release.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 2. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
            dburnham

You still misunderstand what I am reporting.    I apologize for using the word "favorite" in the subject line if that was misleading to you.

I do understand how the stars work to make a host a "favorite" or to reverse that action and "un-favorite" the host.   I am not writing the report about making something a favorite or not.   For the purpose of this discussion, I don't give a hoot about whether a host is a favorite or not.   This is not about favoritism.

I am talking about removing the host address altogether from the list.   Since this seems to be hard to understand, consider  this example:

A developer is working with a customer, accessing their server remotely using a specific IP address.  The client goes out of business or is acquired by another company or turns off their FileMaker Server forever.  The developer will never again have a reason to access that host.   Regardless whether it was a "favorite" or not, the developer wants to remove it from the list of host addresses.

Why is that so hard to understand, especially in the context of the screen shots I have given you to illustrate the REMOVE button in the Open Remote dialog that existed before the Launch Center, and still exists when using Manage External Data Sources.   The same list of hosts also appears when uploading files to a server.   It just doesn't make sense that you allow us to Add and Edit, but not delete.

Additionally, I should point out that if the Open Favorite command is used instead of Open Remote, there is a "minus" button which does exactly what I want.  I don't think it makes sense to request the same thing as a "new feature" when it is so obviously an oversight in the Launch Center that should be considered a mistake worthy of correcting.

• 3. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
              Fred(CH)

dburnham, take a breath .

I agree with you and am often in the same mobile situation you describe. Even not so intuitive and regardless of the numerous inconsitancies in the places where v14 UI were not installed, TSGal tip worked for me.

If i didn't missed anything, a host will only appear if one of these two conditions are matching : Favorite or Available in the same subnet. When you remove the star of a remote host, it will be removed from the list but only the next time you open launch center.

Tip : you can also press alt and choose Open a file to access old open and host interface... and that sounds like expected behavior .

dburnham a écrit:

[…] This is not about favoritism.

I am talking about removing the host address altogether from the list.  […]

• 4. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                dburnham

Thank you for that tip about holding ALT or OPTION.    If that tip came from TSGal I must have missed it.  Thanks all around.

Thanks to all for attention to the Launch Center and its importance to developers for infrequent access, perhaps a concept somewhat different from "favorite".   Incidentally, I don't know where these things are stored on Windows systems, but I know that on the Mac OS they are stored somewhere in the preferences.  If you follow tech support's instruction to delete preferences and caches and saved application state from your user Library, you'll have to rebuild the list.  I have tired of making screen shots to help recall these necessary items every time I have to delete prefs, and instead rely on separate database where I maintain these things.   Not mentioned in the previous post but equally important is the file names that are often hidden on hosted files.  Personally, I'm not good at memorizing them and I feel awkward calling a good customer to say -- "what's the name of your database file?"

• 5. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                  Fred(CH)

I discovered the tip of alt / option key by chance, it was not a part of TSGal comments on this thread.

Also i was not talking about preferred databases, since AFAIK, it was not the main topic here.

I never thought neither deleting prefs would do the job since it would have been an horrible workaround.

However what i wanted to underline previously, was the tip provided by TSGal here :

"you can delete a Favorite host by clicking the star-disk icon to the right of the host name."

…has worked for me, but only when i reopened the launch center; thus, reading your answer, i was wondering if you possibly missed this condition.

• 6. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                    dburnham

I am usually good at the precision of my written communication but in this case, I must be failing in some way to get my point across.  I'll try again:

This has NOTHING to do with favorites.  The fact is that the "star" thing is just a way of HIDING hosts and files so that they don't appear when you opt to see only your favorites, but they are not actually deleted.  They are hidden from view.  It doesn;t matter to me if TSGal wants to refer to this as "deleting a favorite" but the language is misleading.  Maybe we need new terminology.  For example, people can "un-friend" other people on their Facebook account but it does not delete the "un-friended" person from Facebook.    Perhaps we need a synonym for "un-favorite".

What I keep insisting I am writing about is the deleting of the HOST itself.  In the old dialog and in previous versions of FileMaker, there is a REMOVE button that enables you to actually delete a host address from your Open Remote list.  I find this to be necessary when a client goes out of business or no longer needs my remote services, otherwise my list becomes unnecessarily long.  Similarly, when someone dies, I remove them from my address book because they are not answering the phone or responding to emails any more. 

In FileMaker 14, the absence of a minus sign in the Launch Center now has 2 workarounds:  one is the minus sign that exists in the Open Favorites dialog box and the other is the one you identified today about the use of the "alt" or "option" key.

To my way of thinking, this is not a new feature request.  It is a bug report, because in April we were told that the engineering team worked so hard on the new Script Workspace and Launch Center and they really want our feedback so that they can as quickly as possible address any of the little details that were overlooked.   Foolish me, I believed what I was told.

• 7. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                      Fred(CH)

I am sorry but it is probably me, since i am using a non-native language to express what i mean. I am afraid i misunderstood you, and i am sorry.

However, here is my last try :

To me, the old Remove button could have been called Remove Favorite Host, since both add and remove buttons WERE placed on a "kinda tab" that was called "Favorite Hosts".

In other words, one always was able to browse within a list of favorite host and another list of local hosts; In the latter one was not able to delete an entry for obvious reason.

And also the title of this not misleading :

Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host

• 8. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                        TSGal

dburnham:

I apologize if my posts were not clear enough.

Let me try explaining through an example, as this may help us understand one another.

In the Launch Center Host tab, add a favorite host with an IP Address "1.1.1.1".  You will now see 1.1.1.1 located at the top of the Host list with a Star/Disk icon.

Next, click the Star/Disk icon to unfavorite it.  The host is not immediately removed as the host "1.1.1.1" moves to the top of all the local hosts (just below the Favorites).  This protects users from accidentally deleting or unfavoriting an important host and makes "1.1.1.1" available to be a Favorite again.

To remove the unfavorite host ("1.1.1.1") completely, quit and relaunch FileMaker Pro and go to the Launch Center.  The host "1.1.1.1" will no longer be listed.

Does this help?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 9. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                          dburnham

Well, it helps to confirm that we are still discussing different subjects.

I have no quarrel with, or misunderstanding about, the use of favorites or un-favorites.  Rather, I have been commenting on the need to be able to DELETE or REMOVE an obsolete host address, whether or not it is a favorite.  The new Launch Center does not offer the same button that exists in Manage Favorites or the old Open Remote dialog that I now understand can be accessed with Alt or Option.

I have also commented that LAN ip addresses should NOT become automatically deleted when they are inaccessible.  Please refer to explanation given in earlier messages so I need not repeat it again

Thank you.

• 10. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                            TSGal

dburnham:

I didn't receive any feedback about my example, so I'll try again.

As "Fred(CH)" said in his initial reply...

"If i didn't missed anything, a host will only appear if one of these two conditions are matching : Favorite or Available in the same subnet. When you remove the star of a remote host, it will be removed from the list but only the next time you open launch center."

1. If "1.1.1.1" becomes obsolete and it was a favorite, then you can un-favorite the host, and it will disappear the next time you launch FileMaker Pro.

2. If "1.1.1.1" is obsolete and not a favorite, then it will no longer appear when the network gets the available hosts across the LAN.

3. If "1.1.1.1" is no longer being used but still active on the LAN, then you cannot remove it.  All Local hosts and Favorites will be listed.;

4. If "1.1.1.1" is marked as a favorite, and "1.1.1.1" becomes obsolete and/or not on the LAN, it will not be removed from the list of Favorites, and if you take that machine outside of the network and launch, you will see the Favorites listed.

Let me know if you need explanation for any of the four scenarios.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 11. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                              fitch

@dburnham I totally agree with you that it's not intuitive, but I just confirmed that TSGal's description is accurate:

1. I un-starred a host, and it moved to the bottom of the host list.

2. I closed the Open Remote dialog

3. I re-opened the dialog.

Result: the un-starred host no longer appears. I didn't need to re-launch FMP.

Also I can confirm that alt-ctrl-O does open the old Open File dialog, from whence you can click the Remote button and get the old hosts dialog. Sweet!

But WARNING: at first I misunderstood the suggestion, and tried alt-ctrl-shift-O. That didn't do anything, so I held down Alt and selected Open Remote. As a result, ALL MY HOSTS WERE DELETED.

• 12. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                                dburnham

Yours is an interesting report, Tom, and I am sorry that all your hosts were deleted.

I admit that I have not had the experience of un-starring a host and finding that it disappears.  I think you might find that it does NOT disappear except when you have chosen to view only the starred (favorite) items.  So, in other words, when you're viewing all your hosts and you un-favorite one of them, it moves to the bottom of the list and it's visible because you're viewing all.  But when you are viewing only favorites, you are misled to believe that it's been deleted.  Un-click the STAR button at the top and it will re-appear.  At least, that's my experience.

I realize you can't test this until you rebuild your list and the fact that they all vanish upon Open Remote with ALT selected is just another reason, IMHO, why the Launch Center needs some serious attention.

• 13. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                                  user19752

I think your problem is there is no "favorite host" and "local host" tabs in new Launch center. It shows always mixture of them, so you can't remove favorite host from the list if the host is reachable.

"viewing only favorites" affect to file list, not host...

OTOH, in Japanese UI, "My solutions" tab is interpretation of "Solutions", then it become meaningless... Other tab is "Host", it looks like "hosted solutions are not solution".

• 14. Re: Open Remote (Launch Center) cannot delete a Favorite Host
                                    dburnham

Actually, you're right that there are no "tabs" per se, but FileMaker would have us believe that the STAR button in the header area represents the behavior of two tabs:  one called Favorites Only and the other called ALL.

And it does govern both files and hosts.

1 2 Previous Next