8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2015 7:26 AM by TSPigeon

Odd text on button bar

On one PC in out Network (Windows) running FileMaker Pro v14.01, there is a sometimes only issue that shows some other language besides English (default) for a series of Button Bars. I have attached a snapshot, has anyone else seen this before please? Any help where to asses the PC would also be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Odd text on button bar
          intex

Have you checked the availability of the chosen font on the PC with the problem. I guess it´s not the language that changes, but the font.

• 2. Re: Odd text on button bar
            TSPigeon

Clive Sheiles:

Thank you for your post.

As intex recommended you might check that the Font is available. When the issue is occurring you might also enter layout mode and verify that the Button Bars are not showing a strange or unknown font in the inspector. If it is not using a font you'd expect to see, could you reply with the font name?

I hope this information is of use and look forward to your response.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 3. Re: Odd text on button bar
              TomDupre

I think you'll find the font has some strange name like Z@1234 - at least if it's the same as the issue I've come across a few times. Certainly not a font that you will have assigned yourself. I think it's related to an Adobe Acrobat issue with temp files, but I haven't quite got to the bottom of it.

It's happened when I've opened FM files I've downloaded - perhaps where a font substitution was involved. After changing the font to a more standard font, the issue is resolved (though this might not be a very satisfactory resolution, depending on the circumstances).

• 4. Re: Odd text on button bar

Thank you for all the responses, I have not yet been back to this site to view first hand, I am waiting for the user to contact me when it occurs again. I will post the findings along with the font name I find in the inspector as soon as I can.

• 5. Re: Odd text on button bar

Hi again Everyone,

I have now checked the offending PC when it is in the error situation. The font reported in both the Inspector and the menu bar is Z@723E.tmp

I have also read a few other threads regarding this same issue, and have a zipped file of the 'FNTCACHE.tmp' file from the Windows 7 Computer with the issue. If any one wants a copy of this file let me know, and I will email - It looks like I cannot attach such a file here.

thanks

Clive Sheiles

• 6. Re: Odd text on button bar
                    TSPigeon

Clive Sheiles:

Thank you for your response.

Testing and Development is currently aware of this issue with FileMaker Pro 14.0.2 on the Windows operating systems. I am adding this post to the report.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.

• 7. Re: Odd text on button bar
                      KenNewell

Clear your font cache.  There is/are several ongoing discussions in which the common theme is weird fonts.  My third machine here just reported that after the upgrade and we clear the font cahe out and things look just fine.

• 8. Re: Odd text on button bar
                        TSPigeon

@All:

Documentation has been released on this issue, which includes our current Work Around. See Knowledge Base Article #15419. When more information is available, I will post it to this thread.

TSPigeon

FileMaker, Inc.