6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2017 2:51 PM by actualjon

Important Note for installing FMS 14 on OS X

JohnDCCIU

Just wanted to give my experience with installing FMS 14v3 (but probably exists with all FMS versions) on OS X this weekend.

It's very important to install the Java 6 package for OS X from Apple from here:  Java for OS X 2015-001

This is in addition to the Java 8 package from Oracle, because for reasons known only to the Keystone Kops at Oracle (perhaps only rivaled by the Keystone Kops in charge of the SSL portion of FMS), even after three major versions since Oracle took over maintenance of Java from Apple, they still don't ship some of the necessary dev frameworks with their Java 8 package, so the old Apple package is necessary for many deployments.  Java 6 is not actually used; it just installs those needed frameworks.

OS X normally prompts the user whenever it needs that Java 6 package to be installed, but FMS is not triggering that prompt, so it's a difficult problem to detect.

How this affected my FMS 14 server is that without the Java 6 package installed, whenever a remote client opened a database that triggered the issue (by requiring Java for whatever reason), the fmserverd process would start chewing up lots of CPU, eventually go deaf (File/Open Remote on a client showed "No Connection"), then degrade until the fmserverd process crashed.  I've attached the crash log for anyone that wants to reference it.

How I got the clue was that I opened one of the affected databases locally from the server machine using the FM client installed on the actual server box (with the server offline) and that triggered the Java 6 prompt from OS X.  After I installed the Java 6 package on the server, the crashes stopped.

YMMV, but I had tried pretty much everything before that (uninstall/reinstall of FMS, all the usual OS and disk checks/troubleshooting, etc), and the crash was reproducible and disappeared immediately after I installed the Java 6 package, so I'm pretty confident that was the fix.

• 2. Re: Important Note for installing FMS 14 on OS X
          JohnDCCIU

Sorry for the delayed reply on this.

I checked in the following directories on the server for extensions and found none:

/Library/FileMaker Server/Database Server/Extensions/

/Applications/FileMaker Pro/Extensions/

/Applications/FileMaker Pro Advanced/Extensions/

~/Library/Application Support/FileMaker/Extensions/

So not sure why it would be loading Java, but note it didn't happen during the server launch, it happened when a user opened an affected database (presumably one that used a Java plugin located on the user's computer, not on the server).  So potentially very hard to nail down the trigger, depending on your environment and how often the affected database is opened.

Regardless of where it's coming from, it shouldn't cause a server crash and installing the Java 6 from Apple fixed the issue permanently.

• 3. Re: Important Note for installing FMS 14 on OS X
            TSGal

JohnDCCIU:

Thank you for your posts and crash log.

It appears that the crash may be due to ODBC/JDBC loading Java for the Actual Technologies Oracle driver.

0x145cad000 -        0x145de8ff7 +atoradb.so (???) <E472BC66-AA58-C917-A885-E4A16911BA76> /Library/ODBC/Actual Oracle.bundle/Contents/MacOS/atoradb.so

Can you verify what driver and version you are using for ODBC/JDBC?

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.

• 4. Re: Important Note for installing FMS 14 on OS X
              JohnDCCIU

Ah, I should have thought of that:  ActualTech's ODBC drivers are Java-based.  My server is at Oracle driver v3.3.6 now (released 11/13) but at the time of the installation it was probably v3.3.4 or v3.3.5.  Obviously ActualTech is still using the old Apple Java 6 frameworks, however, my guess is that didn't change in those couple of revisions:  that's a big change.  And the lack of the Java 6 frameworks was the trigger for the FMS crash.

I'll take this opportunity to engage with ActualTech to find out when they're going to get rid of the dependency on the old framework....it's long past time to ditch that.  I'll follow up here with their response.

John

• 5. Re: Important Note for installing FMS 14 on OS X
                actualjon

Only the Actual Oracle driver has a dependency on Java (the other Actual drivers do not have the dependency).  As was stated in the original post, normally OS X will prompt you to download Java 6 when the driver is loaded.  Apparently that message was suppressed in this case, leading to the crash.  Normally a user will configure or review a DSN or enter a license key using ODBC Manager, which will definitely trigger the download prompt.

Our drivers are used by other applications besides FileMaker, and in order to support the broad number of app / OS / Oracle version requirements we have to support, Java 6 is the best solution at this point.  We have tested it extensively with El Capitan and we have found 6 to be solid for the narrow scenario we use it for (i.e. we don't use it for UI).  We will be moving to Java 8 for the next version of OS X.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for Mac OS X

• 6. Re: Important Note for installing FMS 14 on OS X
                  actualjon

This issue was fixed in version 4.1.0 of the Actual Oracle driver.  The driver no longer requires Java 6 to be installed.

Jonathan Monroe

Actual Technologies - ODBC for macOS

1 of 1 people found this helpful