2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 22, 2015 10:25 AM by coherentkris

Unwanted Data Change Via Relationship

rustyshackleford

Random data keep changing in my filemaker database. Is it possible that data changes automatically based on relationships even if I don't have the "All creation of records via this relationship" checked?

• 1. Re: Unwanted Data Change Via Relationship
          mikebeargie

data edits are different than record creation, so that checkbox has no influence.

I would check your auto-enter/looked up value calculations to see if something is triggering off there.

More importantly, do you have a modification user/timestamp field that you can use to determine who/when is editing those records. Those fields are a must-have in most tables, along with primary key, and creation user/timestamp.

You might also want to update your permissions to make sure some users aren't making errant changes.

• 2. Re: Unwanted Data Change Via Relationship
            coherentkris

Mike is right ...

Data edits are not the same as record creation.

What exactly do you men by random?

A little more specifics is really needed here to recommend a solution..

More along the lines of I have this setup and when i do this i expect this but get this.

I have found that if i develop a solid comprehensible question then the solution becomes obvious.

You can always post the file so we can have a look.