1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 23, 2015 2:14 PM by TSGal

FM ODBC and containers

TomMurray

[I think I should post this to a "product suggestions" forum but I looked hard and did not find one]

I've been joyfully using the FM-to-MySQL ODBC link for several years, using the driver by Actual. (I was thrilled that it works fine in WebDirect as well.)  Now I need to work with container fields, images, sound files, etc., and want to store those where everything else is stored, in mySQL. This feature is apparently not supported.  I wrote to Actual and they said the limitation was on the FM side.  Here is what the advisor at Actual said:

"As you have seen, blob / container fields are not supported with “External SQL Sources” (ESS).  We would welcome it if FM decided to support those fields in the future, but so far they have not implemented it within FM.  It’s possible to import a blob from a MySQL database into a container field using the “Import Records” script step, but I don’t know of any way to write the container field to the MySQL database."

Is this feature in the pipeline, and/or have other solutions been worked out?

--thanks, Tom

• 1. Re: FM ODBC and containers
          TSGal

TomMurray:

Thank you for your post.

FileMaker, Inc. neither discusses nor speculates about future releases.

I recommend that you enter this suggestion into our Feature Requests web form at:

Company | FileMaker

The information entered into the web form populates a database file that is hosted and monitored by Product Management and Development.  All entries are read, discussed and considered for possible implementation in a future release.  Although I could easily copy your post and paste it into the web form, there are a couple of contact questions asked on the web form that only you can answer.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc.