4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 10:33 AM by TomPingel

File/Manage/Database hangs system

TomPingel

Everything is working fine in the solution, except that I need to add a field to one of the tables in the solution.

File/Manage/Database  hangs the system causing me to 'Force Quit' the application (same result in Windows 7).

File/Manage the other options works fine.

I have gone through 'File/Recover' and the recovered file gives the same result.

Other files/solutions do not experience the problem.

I'm using FMPA 13.

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: File/Manage/Database hangs system
          Mike_Mitchell

Is this solution hosted on FileMaker Server?

Is this a multi-file solution, where it has references to other files embedded on the Relationships Graph?

Have you checked the Manage > External Data Sources dialog to ensure other references are correct / still present?

Generally, a "hang" in the Manage Database dialog is a result of either file corruption or a missing / broken / malformed file reference. Be especially wary of anything that has a "*" in the file path, as FileMaker will happily (unhappily?) search the entire network looking for the file.

• 2. Re: File/Manage/Database hangs system
            TomPingel

Thanks for the pointer to the External Data Sources.

This is a 'client' solution that works independently of the 'host', only needing periodic 'uploads' and 'downloads'. The 'host' needs to be open to modify the database and even though I had it open, the system was still hanging.

I looked at the External Data Sources and discovered that my network had reassigned the ip address for the 'host'. As soon as I corrected that, all is good.

Thanks for waking me up!

• 3. Re: File/Manage/Database hangs system
              erolst

TomPingel wrote:

Thanks for the pointer to the External Data Sources.

[…]

Thanks for waking me up!

So maybe you should give Mike the credit for the wake-up call, and the correct answer … ?!

• 4. Re: File/Manage/Database hangs system
                TomPingel

Sorry - first post and didn't understand the protocol. Thought correcting the ip address was the correct answer.

'Credit' has been reversed.