1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 4:42 AM by erolst

Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?

SherriSpearing

I am using Filemaker Pro 12. I have a main layout "Switchboard" set with controls to open various related windows. The main switchboard is where a user has access to the most common information. The related windows show details of the common information and opens up in a space where room has been set aside for it to fit nicely. I would like to know how to set the 2 windows up so that I can work on both windows simultaneously without minimize/maximize, etc. Is this doable? To clarify, I always want to be able to work with the information on the "Switchboard" screen while working with the information in the related window.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
          Storganise

Hi Sherri,

Sounds to me like you are going about this in a bit of a convoluted way. I expect you could just put a portal on the Switchboard layout to bring in the information you need. That would be "nested" in your layout and wouldn't need an extra window to be open.

You can, of course, have 2 or more windows open at a time, but the active one will come to the foreground, and also in FMGo and WebDirect you are only shown the active window.

James

• 2. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
            SherriSpearing

Thank you for your answer Storganise. And you are right - it does sound convoluted - but I guess that is a good word to describe my job (sadly).

I manage a law office and at any given time I am working on more than one file or task at once (including trying to build this db file). Example: while entering details of a case in the "Case Files" layout, I answer an unrelated phone call  to which I have to document the details of that call. I have a button on the main "Switchboard" that opens a window that stores the information of telephone calls.

My switchboard is exactly as its name suggests. Its there mainly for the user to easily find buttons and links to open up the various input windows: Phone Calls / Court Offices / Accounts / etc. It also has a list (portal) of all of the active clients. When I am entering information into a "Case File" it involves a lot of detail - certainly more information than a portal can hold. If I were the only user I could manage navigating from one view to another. But I am building this so that my staff can use it with very little navigation. With that said I would like to be able to "hop" away from entering the details of the case for a moment to quickly enter the details of the phone call and "hop" right back to entering the details of the case with little to no navigation. Is that at all possible? Or is there a much easier solution?

• 3. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
              Mike_Mitchell

Sherri -

James is correct. You can have multiple windows available at the same time. You just have to size them appropriately. I'm assuming from your reference to maximize / minimize that you're working on the Windows platform. If that is the case, you should probably avoid using the maximize option, as this will push other windows out of view (as you've likely discovered). Instead, explore the windowing script commands:

Screen Shot 2015-09-23 at 3.50.06 PM.png

Pay particular attention to Adjust Window, Move/Resize Window, and the Show/Hide commands. By using a combination of these options, you will be able to lay out your various windows precisely as you like inside the FileMaker application window.

HTH

Mike

• 4. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                SherriSpearing

Thanks Mike. I have managed to create and position my windows to open . But I think I might be wording my question wrong and I apologize. Presently when I work in the "Case File" I have to close it in order to open and enter information into the "Phone Call Log". Is there a way to go from one to the other without closing the "Case File" window?

• 6. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                  SherriSpearing

That's my question. I'm missing something here, I know, because I cannot interact with the "Switchboard" window buttons without closing the "Case Files" window. The "Switchboard" is the main window that stays open in the back all the time. It has the buttons to open other windows (like the "Phone Call Log") but I can't work in the "Case Files" and operate the "Switchboard" buttons simultaneously.

• 7. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                    Mike_Mitchell

I get it. You're trying to overlap your windows. Don't do that. Said your windows up so they don't overlap, but are sitting side-by-side.

• 8. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                      Mike_Mitchell

Another option is to use a floating window for the window that you want on top. But you have to be careful with that option because it will override any other window that you try to put in the same space.

• 9. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                        wendy

I'm just a newbie, but... is it possible that you are using a script to open windows from Switchboard, and that the script to open, for example, Case Files, includes a Pause/Resume Script step? If that is the case (no pun intended), you won't be able to go back to the originating window while a script is "hanging" in the background in the second window.

• 10. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                          SherriSpearing

That's it Mike!  They are set up and positioned to open side by side but I have selected "floating" windows for all of them. What should they be set as instead?

PS: I never once said that I knew what I was doing

Sent over Bell's LTE network – using the world's fastest mobile technology.

-

Mike_Mitchell wrote -

>*      a      body {           font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;           -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;      }      /* Webkit */      h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, hr {           -webkit-margin-before: 0;           -webkit-margin-after: 0;           -webkit-margin-start: 0;           -webkit-margin-end: 0;      }      .content p      .content li      .button td {           background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #75B7E3 0%, #5498D6 50%, #408BD0 51%, #387AC8 100%) !important;           background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,#75B7E3), color-stop(50%,#5498D6), color-stop(51%,#408BD0), color-stop(100%,#387AC8)) !important;           -webkit-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 #74b9de, 0 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,.3) !important;           -moz-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 #74b9de, 0 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,.3) !important;      }      .footer      .footer a                                                                                                                                                                                                  

>Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?

>reply from Mike_Mitchell in Discussions - View the full discussion

>Another option is to use a floating window for the window that you want on top. But you have to be careful with that option because it will override any other window that you try to put in the same space.

>     Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community      Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community            Following Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time? in these streams: Inbox                     

>Manage your email preferences

>                    FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

>

• 11. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                            SherriSpearing

Oh my.  I need to go and check that for sure.  There may be a few things I need to check over.  Thanks very much.  I tend to count on the default settings as a means to get things set up quickly. People are very helpful here, thanks for your input.

-

wendy wrote -

>*      a      body {           font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;           -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%;      }      /* Webkit */      h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, hr {           -webkit-margin-before: 0;           -webkit-margin-after: 0;           -webkit-margin-start: 0;           -webkit-margin-end: 0;      }      .content p      .content li      .button td {           background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #75B7E3 0%, #5498D6 50%, #408BD0 51%, #387AC8 100%) !important;           background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, color-stop(0%,#75B7E3), color-stop(50%,#5498D6), color-stop(51%,#408BD0), color-stop(100%,#387AC8)) !important;           -webkit-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 #74b9de, 0 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,.3) !important;           -moz-box-shadow: inset 0 1px 0 #74b9de, 0 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,.3) !important;      }      .footer      .footer a                                                                                                                                                                                                  

>reply from wendy in Discussions - View the full discussion

>I'm just a newbie, but... is it possible that you are using a script to open windows from Switchboard, and that the script to open, for example, Case Files, includes a Pause/Resume Script step? If that is the case (no pun intended), you won't be able to go back to the originating window while a script is "hanging" in the background in the second window.

>     Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on FileMaker Community      Start a new discussion in Discussions by email or at FileMaker Community            Following Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time? in these streams: Inbox                     

>                    FileMaker Developer Conference 2016 • Las Vegas, Nevada • July 18-21 • www.filemaker.com/devcon

>

• 12. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                              SherriSpearing

Btw: great pun!!

-

wendy wrote -

>reply from wendy in Discussions - View the full discussion

>I'm just a newbie, but... is it possible that you are using a script to open windows from Switchboard, and that the script to open, for example, Case Files, includes a Pause/Resume Script step? If that is the case (no pun intended), you won't be able to go back to the originating window while a script is "hanging" in the background in the second window.

>

• 13. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                                Suresh

After half of this forum, I cant understand anything!

• 14. Re: Is it possible to have 2 windows active at the same time?
                                  keywords

Re: "I have selected "floating" windows for all of them."

I don't suppose it is possible you have also tagged the window that must be closed as a modal window? If so, yes, you will have to close that window before going to the other. That is the essence of a modal window—you cannot work outside it as long as it is active.

1 2 Previous Next