4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2015 5:08 AM by keywords

Job Code Creation

mplutchok

I'm relatively new to FileMaker and I am trying to generate an automatic job code, when a new record is created the job code should automatically be entered into the job code field. The format of the code would be:
      Current Month/ Current Year/ Number - (Which starts at 001 and would reset and start at 001 at the beginning of each year).

Ex: 8/2015/007
             1/2016/001

Please let me know how to generate this unique job code. Thank you in advance for your help with this.

-Mike

• 1. Re: Job Code Creation
          Suresh

Sounds like you need to create a Primary Key(Job Code).

Use Auto-Enter option with using Calculation for this. Thats the easiest way to solve!!

Good Luck

• 2. Re: Job Code Creation
            mplutchok

Yes  the job code  would be the primary key. When I tried using the AutoEnter option along with what I have I have in my calculation field , it removed the date and the year so the Jobe code was just 001. Is there anyway to appended the serial number to what I already have in my calculation field? 

Thank you for your help.

• 3. Re: Job Code Creation
              user19752

Something like

Case ( CM <> "" and CY <> "" ;

SerialIncrement ( Max ( related::job Code ) ; 1 )

)

relation using CM and CY

• 4. Re: Job Code Creation
                keywords

I suggest you check the field type. It is possible that if you set it to autoenter a calc (currentMonth/currentYear/serial) but have the field type set to number, that only the serial is being recognised. The same may happen if you had a calc field with the calc result set to number.

Another trying worth mentioning is that using a MEANINGFUL job code as your primary key you are breaking the well established rule NOT to do this.