2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 5:47 AM by beverly

Move to SQL method.

malachydevlin

Hi All,

I have to move some tables to SQL back end and I have good knowledge of this however there is one oddity I would love advice on.

Currently I have 4 interface FM files that all link to a single database FM file.

The 4 files a 4 separate modules but the do share some tables from the main db, especially for value lists etc.

Anyway..

1 - I could re link the fm database file to the ODBC SQL and leave the font end files linking to the FMdatabase file

OR

2 - I could link each of the 4 files directly to the ODBC SQL.

Not sure which would be right or wrong.

I know with option 1 I have only 1 place to manage shadow tables, auto enters etc so that would be my favourite but im worried that piggy backing might slow things down?

thanks..

• 1. Re: Move to SQL method.
          mikebeargie

I've never seen a performance drop in the data separation model ( #1 ) as long as the files are all hosted in the same place. So I wouldn't worry in your case, where the advantages of #1 outweigh the other option.

• 2. Re: Move to SQL method.
            beverly

+1

Unless there is another compelling reason to make your data be in SQL instead of FM, you are maintaining two systems and have other caveats of trying to make FM a "front-end" for SQL. Too many variables in my experience. I'm not saying don't do it, but be very clear on WHY it's necessary and learn all the 'gotchas' of such a method.

beverly