4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2015 7:43 AM by Abingdon

FM14 font kerning

Abingdon

Is there a plug-in which can control the font kerning in Filemaker?  The native 'condense' feature does not really do the job.

I would pay a lot of money for one (as would a lot of those who do work for very picky design agencies).

Any advice gratefully received.

• 1. Re: FM14 font kerning
          mikebeargie

Not aware of any plugin that is able to modify layout objects. What might be better would be to design a "preview" interface in a web browser that loads and formats your content using CSS.

CSS has a letter-spacing property to control kerning a bit better.

The only thing you'll be able to do in native filemaker is select a different font that looks better for you.

I'd never use filemaker for content publishing, only for content generation/storage. Working with a program like InDesign you can transfer filemaker content over and have tight control over the format.

Here's an older example of that:

Automator - Examples

• 2. Re: FM14 font kerning
            Abingdon

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your reply.

I'm not allowed to change the design unfortunately. I am afraid the CSS method is beyond my modest skills.

I did use Filemaker with X-Data and Quark many years ago so I may well have to buff up on that.

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: FM14 font kerning
              nicolai

+1 to Mike

This is a clear case where you are trying to use FileMaker for something it was not design to do.

InDesign is a way forward. It supports AppleScript/VBScript and can import XML.

On the other hand, Quark Express and X-Data are still live and kicking. You might just want to stick to what you know.

===============

Edit:

I just looked up emsoftware website and it looks like they are doing a similar plugin for InDesign - InData

• 4. Re: FM14 font kerning
                Abingdon

Hi Nicolai,

To be fair- FileMaker does make a reasonable fist of it most of the time.  A company I do work for is posting out 10,000 postcards every week with variable fronts and backs - all digitally printed from PDFs created straight out of Filemaker from data supplied as csv from the client.  you never know what you can do with Filemaker till you try!

I just wish it was a bit more flexible with design tools.

PS for Mike - EM Software, I could not remember their name - it was a long time ago!

Many thanks both.