5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 10:00 AM by vince.menanno

OS X 5.0 Server for 10.10.10 and 10.10.11

taylorsharpe

The Tech Republic has posted an article about the recent release of OS X 5.0.4 for Apple's OS X Server at Changes in OS X 5.0 that will impact the enterprise - TechRepublic

Many of my clients used to run the server version of OS X in combination with FileMaker Server, but stopped when FileMaker stopped playing well with web services and the Server.app.  I miss those days for reasons like having Open Directory on the same server for FileMaker authentication. 

It is interesting seeing the latest release from Apple is no longer OS X version dependent and can work on 10.10.10 (Yosemite) and 10.10.11 (El Capitan). 

But the big question to me will be whether this latest update will start to play well with FileMaker Server or not.  It sure would be nice if it would, but I have doubts.  Has anyone played with this latest Server release on a machine with FMS?

• 1. Re: OS X 5.0 Server for 10.10.10 and 10.10.11
          PointInSpace

We've been running OS X Server here alongside FileMaker Server without issue on at least OS X 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10.  I think the trick is to be sure to install OS X Server before installing FileMaker Server, and never telling OS X Server to start the web process.  We haven't had OS X Server trying to start its web process once FileMaker Server is installed.

I can't speak as to 10.11.

- John

• 2. Re: OS X 5.0 Server for 10.10.10 and 10.10.11
            taylorsharpe

John May wrote:

We've been running OS X Server here alongside FileMaker Server without issue on at least OS X 10.8, 10.9 and 10.10.  I think the trick is to be sure to install OS X Server before installing FileMaker Server, and never telling OS X Server to start the web process.  We haven't had OS X Server trying to start its web process once FileMaker Server is installed.

I can't speak as to 10.11.

- John

Yes, I've been doing that on my development machine... just wasn't brave enough to do it on a production one since it is not blessed by FM.  But I sure hope that changes.  It sure would be nice.  Good to see others try to get around this situation like you do too. 

• 3. Re: OS X 5.0 Server for 10.10.10 and 10.10.11
              electon

Installing FM Server after OSX Server was for me the solution too.

Filemaker will "disable" meaning take over the listening ports of OSX apache instance.

Config on different ports and having to run two apache servers looks still daunting to me.

It really depends on what you use the OSX server for.

If you use any of the processes that rely on it's web server then quite often the modification will cause a rewrite of the config files and screw things up for FMServer.

I ended up removing the OSX Apache altogether from the launch daemon.

I don't think it's OSX server's fault but more how FMServer does things and the limitations you have to work with within the setup.

• 4. Re: OS X 5.0 Server for 10.10.10 and 10.10.11
                PointInSpace

FYI, to disable OS X's Apache on OS X Server:

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist

and remove /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist (make a backup somewhere)

to reenable, move the LaunchDaemon back in and execute:

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.apache.httpd.plist

- John

• 5. Re: OS X 5.0 Server for 10.10.10 and 10.10.11
                  vince.menanno

John,

I have been told that the method you mention here might no longer work as of Server version 5.0.3.

Vince