2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 12:52 AM by ResoluteSystems

    Logging in to a DB via WebDirect


      It looks as if there is a problem with the URL for logging in to a database via WebDirect.

      In these circumstances:

        Safari 8,

        opening a database running in FMS14.0.3,

        hosted on OS X 10.10,

        using a URL that includes a custom homepage URL,

        with a target database name that appears with its .fmp12 extension.

      Then WebDirect goes straight to the custom home page.


      For several years FileMaker seems to have been pretty neutral about whether or not a FileMaker extension is included in a database name. So, if the extension is no longer permitted, I’d expect the WebDirect user guide to say so, but it doesn’t.



        • 1. Re: Logging in to a DB via WebDirect



          Thank you for your post.


          Using FileMaker Server 14.0.3 on Mac OS X 10.10.5, I can launch Safari 8.0.8 from another Mac OS X 10.10.5 machine and access a database file.  I used the default custom web page that comes with FileMaker Server (fmwebd_home.html).  I entered:


          http://<IP Address of server>/fmi/webd?homeurl=<IP Address of server>/fmwebd_home.html#FMServer_Sample.fmp12


          The FMServer_Sample file opens fine, and when I log out, the custom home page is then displayed.


          If you don't use the file extension, FileMaker WebDirect will assume the extension is .fmp12.


          Make sure your filename does not include a period, as this would be interpreted as a file extension.


          Let me know what I'm doing differently than you so I can replicate the issue.



          FileMaker, Inc.


          • 2. Re: Logging in to a DB via WebDirect

            Thanks for the reply.


            I’ve checked this again today and my experience is the same as yours now.

            Since reporting this, I’ve changed from a DNS entry to a redirect to find the HTML page that opens the FileMaker file. The service provider’s DNS settings just wouldn’t work reliably and they couldn’t fix it, so maybe this upset Safari. Perhaps the change to a redirect, or umpteen Safari cache dumps, or both fixed the problem I reported.