4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2015 11:05 PM by g4guitar

How do I limit a summary to a set date range?

g4guitar

I have made up a summary report layout but I now want to be able to choose the date range and am not sure what the next steps are. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 1.07.32 pm.png

• 1. Re: How do I limit a summary to a set date range?
          stephensexton

There are a few options depending on the purpose of the report.

e.g. Probably one of the following is what you need...

1. Include the relevant date field on the report window (or one that links to it) and perform a search for records with the desired date range.  The summary fields will update based on the found set of records

2. Create a new "subsummary" part in layout mode (using menu at top of screen, go to Layouts > Part Setup > Create)... Sort this part by the relevant date field.  This may be useful if you need to see separate summaries by date etc.  You could also include additional calc fields in the relevant table such as "MonthYear" and create a subsummary part that is sorted by that field.  This way, you can change the way the report looks and the level of detail that you get with summary breakdowns, simply by changing the sort order on the report.

• 2. Re: How do I limit a summary to a set date range?
            g4guitar

Thank you stephen and apologies in advance as I am very much a student of Filemaker Pro. I think I must be missing something so here is what I did so far.

The relevant date is called 'Timestamp' in this case. I included the Timestamp which now appears on the right.

I created another sub summary and sorted by Timestamp. The result is as you can see below.

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 5.46.14 pm.png

I am not clear on where I would be entering the Start and End dates either. I did something similar in a normal list layout  and created 2 fields called Start Date and End Date where I enter the dates and run a script.

Screen Shot 2015-09-28 at 5.51.04 pm.png

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it.

• 3. Re: How do I limit a summary to a set date range?
              keywords

To answer the last part:—I am not clear on where I would be entering the Start and End dates either. I did something similar in a normal list layout  and created 2 fields called Start Date and End Date where I enter the dates and run a script:

Your script would need to (1) enter Find mode, then (2) use Set Field to post date range into the field you are finding on as the expression Start date … End date, then (3) perform the Find.

• 4. Re: How do I limit a summary to a set date range?
                g4guitar

Thank you keywords.