8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2015 4:33 AM by erolst

Reports Scripting Not Responding

Suresh

Dear All,

I have created some more Reports as per User Request.

In that, If I select that required report from layout menu where it opens, but it's not sorting & showing the records. Which means I required to go to Script Menu and Select the particular Script for that Report only it shows the proper records Report perfectly.

If I open that report and not select the related script, it will not show the records where simply it shows dummy report!!

Help please !!

Thanks in advance,

Suresh

• 1. Re: Reports Scrpiting Not Responding
          Mike_Mitchell

If you select a layout from the Layout menu, then that's all it does: Go to that layout. If you want it to execute a script when it does that, then you need to set an OnLayoutLoad Script Trigger to execute the correct script.

• 2. Re: Reports Scripting Not Responding
            Suresh

Sure Mike Sir, I will try this!!

But while we select and open that Report by defaultly the script will not get triggered?

• 3. Re: Reports Scripting Not Responding
              Mike_Mitchell

Isn’t that what you want?

• 4. Re: Reports Scrpiting Not Responding
                erolst

Why not encapsulate & automate the entire process in a neat little script that does the layout change, finds the required records and sorts them correctly?

• 5. Re: Reports Scripting Not Responding
                  Suresh

Dear Mike Sir,

This image is a report, While i open the view is in image1.

Report1.JPG

But after opened the actual default script (which for this particular layout) it should need to trigger automatically and display like this in Image2, isn't it?

Report3.JPG

So the main purpose of create this report is, for know Test Status! But as a developer I know that if it display like in Image1, we need to go to Script menu, and select their Script. But User does not know, isn't it?

So how could we make while we select the report it automatically shows like in Image2?

If this doesn't make sense please notify me!

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Reports Scripting Not Responding
                    Suresh

Dear erolst,

Please see the above explaination for this doubt (or) Click this > Main Xplaination

Thanks

• 7. Re: Reports Scripting Not Responding
                      wimdecorte

Suresh wrote:

So the main purpose of create this report is, for know Test Status! But as a developer I know that if it display like in Image1, we need to go to Script menu, and select their Script. But User does not know, isn't it?

So how could we make while we select the report it automatically shows like in Image2?

What you are missing is how to make the workflow and the UI intuitive for the user.   You should not let the user manually switch layouts if you only want that layout to be displayed with a certain found set, sorted and sub-submarized.

Erolst is right: create a script that does all that.  But don't rely on the user to know that the script is in ScriptMaker: give them a nice obvious button on the screen somewhere.

And stop the layouts from being displayed in the layouts list.

• 8. Re: Reports Scripting Not Responding
                        erolst

As Wim said (and I implied), the user doesn't have to know anything about any scripts or layouts (and usually won't care); what a user wants to see is a page that displays a given report about the stuff they manage, and that they can print.

Give them that choice in your UI by offering widgets that speak the language of the business: you want a button that says (e.g.) “Show Annual Report”, not a script hidden in the Scripts menu with a developer-centric naming convention.

That this button triggers that script is for you to know – and for you only.